Generation of egtbs... How?

Endgame analysis using tablebases, EGTB generation, exchange, sharing, discussions, etc..
luckybaer
Sign-up code: 0

Generation of egtbs... How?

Post by luckybaer »

Is there anyway for me to generate egtbs?

IIRC, there was an application on my Fritz 8 disc that allowed the generation of egtbs, but I think I could only do 3 and 4 piece.

Is there any way for me to generate 5 and 6 piece egtbs?

My PCs run Windows XP, the 32-bit version, so will that be a limitation?

Just curious about this subject and I'd like to remove my ignorance.
Wulff
Sign-up code: 10159

Old Nalimov TB generator for 3 to 5 pieces

Post by Wulff »

You most certainly can. All you need is the Nalimov Tablebase generator, and a fast machine, with something like 1 GB of ram, and a few days for your PC to do nothing else than generating the 5-man bases. If you want to generate 6-man bases, I believe you are out of luck, at least I have not seen a publicly available Nalimov TB generator that supports more than 5 pieces.

I have an old version which I have attached to this message.

Have fun.
Attachments
tbexe.zip
Old version of Nalimov TB generator for 3 to 5 pieces. Including compression program to create .emd
(160.63 KiB) Downloaded 492 times
Arkansaw

Post by Arkansaw »

Just want to add that for generation of 6-man bases on a regular home pc, the only possibility at present lies with the FEG format for Chessmaster programs, although it only works within Chessmaster

link: ftp://ftp.ubisoft.com/games/chessmaster/other/Feg.zip
latest version should be 3.03c

The link still works but for some unknown reason it is orphaned in the Ubisoft site; I only found the link from here :S

If that link ever goes down in future, an alternative place to look:
http://www.chesskit.com/software/download.php

[/url]
gambit3

Post by gambit3 »

since the advent of win64, it is possible to generate 6 man tbs on a home pc... however, with the time and swapping involved in doing so, i wouldn't recommend it...
those who can, do
those who can't, teach