Question about testing ...

Questions and comments related to CCRL testing study
Tennison
Sign-up code: 10159

Question about testing ...

Post by Tennison »

I want to test on LittleBlitzer GUI because I can have multiple games in the same time.

1. But with Littleblitzer if you set an opening book, the game is recorded from the last book move and not from the beginning. Is this a problem for CCRL rating ?

2. Is it allowed to test without tablebases? Because I don't find an option for this in Littlzblitzer.

Thanks a lot,

Benoît
Graham Banks
Sign-up code: 0

Re: Question about testing ...

Post by Graham Banks »

I have no experience with the LittleBlitzer GUI. If any of our testers do, I'm sure they'll answer.
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

Tennison wrote:I want to test on LittleBlitzer GUI because I can have multiple games in the same time.

1. But with Littleblitzer if you set an opening book, the game is recorded from the last book move and not from the beginning. Is this a problem for CCRL rating ?
It is a problem if the games were to be submitted to the CCRL. The recorded games have to contain all moves made.
Tennison wrote: 2. Is it allowed to test without tablebases? Because I don't find an option for this in Littlzblitzer.

Thanks a lot,

Benoît
That is not a problem. Previous tests by CCRL members have shown that tablebases have little effect on Elo.
Tennison

Post by Tennison »

Thanks Graham and Adam. ;-)
Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

Tennison wrote:I want to test on LittleBlitzer GUI because I can have multiple games in the same time.

2. Is it allowed to test without tablebases? Because I don't find an option for this in Littlzblitzer.

Thanks a lot,

Benoît
Hi Benoit,

That flaw of LB is simply inexplicable for me. How do you replay a game starting with e.g. exd5? Absurd.

I know of no way to cure that flaw. However, as far as I know you can have multiple games using cutechess-cli. Not particularly user-friendly though.

Gábor
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

I actually use cutechess-cli much of the time now. It takes about as much time to set up a tournament as it does with LittleBlitzer (may be a little longer), I can use Winboard engines (unlike LittleBlitzer), and the pgns include all recorded moves.

Of course, I still use Arena with the Also-Rans.
Ray

Post by Ray »

What book do you use with cutechess-cli Adam ?
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

Ray wrote:What book do you use with cutechess-cli Adam ?
I generally use starting positions, but recently I used Marc LaCrosse's varied.bin (a Polyglot book) for the Houdini 3 40/40 games that I submitted. I want to create a good Polyglot book for CCRL testing, but I have not taken the time to make an attempt at it. However, I know that Marc LaCrosse knew what he was doing, and so I feel comfortable using his book.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Thanks, yes I would certainly trust Marc LaCrosse's books.
Graham Banks
Sign-up code: 0

Post by Graham Banks »

Ray wrote:Thanks, yes I would certainly trust Marc LaCrosse's books.
Sadly, there won't be any more books from Marc, because he passed away a few years back.