Another chess variant. egtb possible.

Endgame analysis using tablebases, EGTB generation, exchange, sharing, discussions, etc..
jshriver
Sign-up code: 0

Another chess variant. egtb possible.

Post by jshriver »

Anyone here play pawns chess? It's basically the same as regular chess except you only have the initial king and 8 pawns. While this would require a 18piece egtb, I wonder if it is feasible to solve.

How much complexity do pawns introduce vs other pieces? I would guess it would be easier and smaller since they're limited in movement. Just an idea, curious to hear other peoples thoughts.

-Josh
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

I don't think it's easy to solve it. The pawns still can promote in this variant, right? So you have to first solve all possible configurations where some pawns are promoted, only then you can move to the kppppppppkpppppppp itself.. Also the kppppppppkpppppppp base still has too many positions, I think it's not feasible at the moment.
gambit3

Post by gambit3 »

even though it is 18 man, 8 pawn chess will still use all of the same tbs as normal chess, simply because promotion is not limitted to any given piece type. therefore, until 18 man bases are available, 8 pawn chess is only as solveable as regular chess.
those who can, do
those who can't, teach