alt.binaries.chess

Endgame analysis using tablebases, EGTB generation, exchange, sharing, discussions, etc..
Mister X
Sign-up code: 0

alt.binaries.chess

Post by Mister X »

First of all, I say 'Hello!' to everyone in this group. I discovered it accidentally and joined today.

In Usenet there is a group, called alt.binaries.chess with low traffic. Did anyone consider to post TB?

Greetings, X :-)
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Hi X, I am not reading that group. Please feel free to post there anything you find here that you feel may be useful.
Did anyone consider to post TB?
Do you mean posting tablebase files? You are aware that their size measures in gigabytes, right?

Cheers!
Mister X

Post by Mister X »

Yes, I am ;-)

In other groups of the alt.binaries.* hierarchy you can get complete movies - DVD-images ready for burning - which is of course illegal. I think, tablebases are public domain. (Is it correct?) So posting should be legal.

Usenet has many benefits. Downloads are usually faster compared with p2p and the transmission may be protected by parity-files.

Greetings, X
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Mister X wrote:Yes, I am ;-)

In other groups of the alt.binaries.* hierarchy you can get complete movies - DVD-images ready for burning - which is of course illegal. I think, tablebases are public domain. (Is it correct?) So posting should be legal.

Usenet has many benefits. Downloads are usually faster compared with p2p and the transmission may be protected by parity-files.

Greetings, X
Well we are talking about hundreds of gigabytes here. Do you think the usenet will handle that, that it will even work, not to mention work fast? Who will host the files - the news server? What should we do if the server operator will decide it's too much for them to host 1.2 TB and if they delete it? Any server-based sharing is not dependable because it can stop working at any moment.

p2p works, as is proven by EGTB sharing project. I started with almost no tablebases about 4 months ago, and now I have about 500 GB, all shared online. p2p is also safe because it has no single point of failure.
Mister X wrote:Usenet has many benefits. Downloads are usually faster compared with p2p and the transmission may be protected by parity-files.
Does Usenet have capacity to host 1.2 terabytes? If not, then there is no comparison, because p2p can do this.

About the faster downloads, the p2p network speed depends only on contribution of the members. It is already fast for files that are well spread, and it will be fast for all files, gradually.

Also we are targeting first of all availability of all 6-men EGTB files. BitTorrent is also fast, for example, but it is not a good long-term sharing solution. BitTorrent is very convenient for quick distribution of new file, but you will not find that file online after 1 year. eD2K/KAD network which we are using is more suitable for long term sharing.
Mister X wrote:Usenet has many benefits. Downloads are usually faster compared with p2p and the transmission may be protected by parity-files.
I have to add, eMule software that we use for sharing has MD4 protection of all downloads. So p2p transmissions are protected (not "may be"), and it is also not just parity but MD4 digest. We are also using MD5 signatures and datacomp testing in addition to that. As you can imagine it is a big problem to ensure the integrity of 1 TB of data. We are aware of the problem and we are using multiple ways to ensure that the files are not corrupted.
gambit3

Post by gambit3 »

in fact, usenet backbone is 4 oc12 cables, so their bandwidth is limited to 4x288x28.8kbit. that is to say, there are 1152 channels, each of 28.8kbit throughput. so the speed limit of usenet is up+down<=33177.6Mbit, or a little over 4 meg a second combined throughput, plus direct connections. direct connections through usenet are p2p. gambit pulls a quarter of that alone. the only reason it is not seen on emule is because at this point in time, it is not feasible to have gambit running emule either 24/7 or dedicated (because it is a gateway). and that is just one emule connector. there are others with t1s, t3s, cable connections (=~t1 shared), and of course the inevitable modem and dsl/adsl connections. now there are also satellite and wireless connections that usenet does not use. if it comes to a race, usenet is really very slow.

also, i can personally deny usenet a quarter of it's bandwidth just by turning gambit off. remember that in future before telling me about illegal activities going on there, because if i know about it, i am legally obliged to act and inform the other three oc12 owners, which would effectively shut down usenet (and with it a fair chunk of the connection between asia and usa).
those who can, do
those who can't, teach
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

gambit3 wrote:also, i can personally deny usenet a quarter of it's bandwidth just by turning gambit off. remember that in future before telling me about illegal activities going on there, because if i know about it, i am legally obliged to act and inform the other three oc12 owners, which would effectively shut down usenet (and with it a fair chunk of the connection between asia and usa).
I think this is a good reason why we can't trust usenet. Anything that can be shut down by a single person should not be relied upon. Real p2p, like eD2K network, had no single point of failure. Half of people may drop off, including me, and it will still work fine for the rest.