Keeping track of ordered/planned downloads

Endgame analysis using tablebases, EGTB generation, exchange, sharing, discussions, etc..
Alkelele
Sign-up code: 0

Keeping track of ordered/planned downloads

Post by Alkelele »

I am wondering what other users are doing to keep track of their downloads. I can't download all 6-piece endings at offer, and I am not too inclined to make one big decision and then download those at once. I want the most important first, generally (while still keeping a big download order at all times).

So, besides using the good old unassisted human memory, is there any other good way to plan and keep track of downloads?

Personally I made a checklist from the list of 100 most frequently occuring endings, but I feel that that is not sufficient. Some endings are rare, but important, because engines may tend to mis-evaluate them. Also the very varying size of the files makes some downloads relatively more profitable.

Any other recommended kind of systemized checklist?

Maybe a little advanced suggestion for Kirill Kryukov:

Along with the file download links, put checkboxes for the user to check when he orders a download. (Problem is, the IE highlight color tends to disappear over time.) It would probably require a user log-in system, but I think it would be a very nice option for the users.
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Hi Alkelele,

Sorry, I don't have time to work on a system to track tablebase downloads for every user. For now I suggest to simply print out the web-page and cross or circle the sets as you download them. :-)

(If anyone has better ideas please suggest here).
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

I just received this mail:
Pax Tolosi wrote:In one of the posts I saw someone that wanted a way to keep track of what databases they have for 6-Men. I created an Excel spreadsheet if
you want to post it for people if you feel it is useful. Later - Pax
Thanks, Pax! I am attaching your xls file here.

All, please take a look and tell if it's good or not. :-)
Attachments
Pax Tolosi's Excel Spreadsheet.zip
This should help you to keep track of your download.
(8.32 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
Alkelele

Post by Alkelele »

Hi,

thanks for care, bur I am afraid I cannot use it :( . At this date at least I have no program installed on my new system to read Excel spreadsheets.

Kirill, your other suggestion was very good indeed, problem is I have never had a printer, so I was not thinking along those lines at all :P

I have checked that Emule informs you if you order a download that is already done/in progress, so at least I can always reconstruct my order list, but I still see it as an advantage if one can quickly spot "holes" according to the full download list offer provided on your site, so maybe I should arrange a printout soon.

Btw, when I made a new order a few days ago, I had forgotten how to do it, so I clicked the tbs and md5 links and couldn't understand why Emule didn't get the order as I had remembered it would. Only after a little while did I realize again that the way to do it is to click the "KRPKRP" links and open them. Perhaps it would a nice service to newcomers if an instruction was put like, "just click the piece letter links (like "KBBKNN") while Emule is running, choose open, and Emule will activate the download".

This would in part be to show just how easy it is to get started. I read a question about "introduction to Emule" on CCC, the point is, one can easily get started without knowing anything about how Emule works. :)
gambit3

Post by gambit3 »

thanks for care, bur I am afraid I cannot use it . At this date at least I have no program installed on my new system to read Excel spreadsheets.

if you have word, you can view (but not alter) the spreadsheet as an imported table. if you have wordview (from microsoft, for those without word or docview), you can do a imilar thing but have to author the document to view it on another computer. a third option is someone converts above into richtext (rtf) format using excel itself, then iexplore, notepad, wordpad, etc., can view it and all save wordview can edit it. a fourth option is star office. though written for linux originally, it is (or was, i haven't used it in a while) open source, so you only need a free c compiler installed to make it happen in windows. then you never have to deal with ''incompatibility'' with excel again. (also, win32 binaries may be available from open source site for star office). yet another option is farview, a part of the far package released originally by eugene roshal and available at the home of rar, or directly by this most recent far version link

i'm not sure whether the far link still contains the addon for viewing excel spreadsheets within far, and it must be noted that far is a console app by default, so you wil be playing in text mode with it for purposes of cut/paste, etc.

hope this is at least in some small way useful...

as for what i personally do to keep track, i just go fr the complete set once a week, then cancel the ones the log tab (under servers) in emule says are duplicates. this seems to work; even if it is a little more high-maintenance, it also seems to catch the ones i missed last time through inavailability, etc.
those who can, do
those who can't, teach
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

gambit3 wrote:as for what i personally do to keep track, i just go fr the complete set once a week, then cancel the ones the log tab (under servers) in emule says are duplicates. this seems to work; even if it is a little more high-maintenance, it also seems to catch the ones i missed last time through inavailability, etc.
This is similar to what I use. If you are already sharing a file, eMule does not even add it to the downloads. It just sais "you already have the file ..." and adds only those you don't have. Very convenient.