Valiant Chess Engine

Questions and comments related to CCRL testing study
Jedidiah Sessions
Sign-up code: 10159

Valiant Chess Engine

Post by Jedidiah Sessions »

After finally getting my account activated (I had initially tried submitting back when this engine was in version Mk3.2, but now it's hit Mk8 it's been so long)

Name: Valiant
Version: Mk8
Protocol: UCI
Author: Jedidiah F. Sessions
Derived from: https://github.com/Disservin/python-chess-engine (although differences between the original and Mk8 are now quite vast)
Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l76dtevlg7o4a ... 8.zip?dl=0 (No idea what CPU type it's for, but it runs on Windows, compilation with pyinstaller shouldn't be too hard for other OSs)
Estimated Elo: The older Mk7 has been shown to be 1952-56, and Mk8 has generally been assumed to be 2000~

Keep in mind, on my machine with a single thread (multiple threads doesn't change much from testing) it runs on average at 14Kn/s, by no means is it a fast engine by modern standards, and that is due to the limitations of Python.

Engines older than Mk8 do create audio bugs when running on cutechess, but Mk8 (and newer when they come out) should work on any GUI (although so far it's only been tested on BanksiaGUI, cutechess, and Arena)

I would appreciate testing, as my own engine collection lacks engines in the 1800-2300 area.
Ray

Re: Valiant Chess Engine

Post by Ray »

Interesting, I don't think there are that many python engines out there.
Jedidiah Sessions

Ray wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 6:59 pm Interesting, I don't think there are that many python engines out there.
I've scoured github and various chess programming wikis, and from what I can determine, there are probably no more than 20 python chess engines that support UCI or WinBoard/XBoard
Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

I have started a gauntlet with it but first results are way under expectation. Only at 20 games out of 448, so it may improve.
Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

I had to stop the tournament after 247 games. Valiant lost all of its games except for two in which the opponent made an illegal move.

Games were played under the Cute Chess GUI.

These were the opponents: Wowl 1.3.8, Zeta Dva 303, Sapeli 1.79, BBC 1.2, Celes, ChessV, Gullydeckel, Faile, BadChessEngine, Wuttang, Jangine, Bubble, Monik.

Time control was 1.6 minutes + 0.8 seconds (corresponding with the CCRL blitz time control of 2+1).

As you also tested with Cute Chess there is clearly something wrong with my setup. Can't tell what, I use the same settings always.

EDIT: Or you meant 2000 Elos on 12 threads?
Jedidiah Sessions

The primary reason, is that it is a terrible engine when it comes to shorter time controls/limits, in every blitz setting I've put it through, it flounders horribly.

My own CPU doesn't even have 12 threads, to be honest...