New engine: Vengeance

Questions and comments related to CCRL testing study
amarthapa
Sign-up code: 10159

New engine: Vengeance

Post by amarthapa »

Hi all, my name is Amar Thapa. I am from India. I am happy to announce the release of the Vengeance chess engine.

Development of this engine was going on for some years during my free time and I was able to finish version 1.0.0 recently.

More details of the engine can be found here -> https://bitbucket.org/amarthapa/vengeance/src/main/ .

It is an open-source engine with an estimated elo of 2700.

Thanks to all open-source engines, chess websites, and forums for helping me develop this engine.
Graham Banks
Sign-up code: 0

Re: New engine: Vengeance

Post by Graham Banks »

We will need a compile, preferably AVX2 or BMi2, so that we can test it.
amarthapa

Post by amarthapa »

Hi, build instructions can be found in the readme.

As of now, I can provide binaries for Linux but I don't know if it can be compatible with other systems.

It would be better if the users build the source code in their system with GCC which ensures compatibility.

Thanks.
Ray

Post by Ray »

You are going to have to provide Windows exes. None of our testers use Linux, and none of us are experts in compiling code.
amarthapa

Post by amarthapa »

Okay, I will look into it. Since I haven't developed the engine using Windows. It will take some time before I post the exes.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

amarthapa wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:25 am Okay, I will look into it. Since I haven't developed the engine using Windows. It will take some time before I post the exes.
A fellow programmer might do this for you if you ask.
amarthapa

Post by amarthapa »

Hi, the exe for Windows can be found here -> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U_9iVB ... share_link .
amarthapa

Post by amarthapa »

Graham Banks wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:43 am
amarthapa wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:25 am Okay, I will look into it. Since I haven't developed the engine using Windows. It will take some time before I post the exes.
Yeah, that would be helpful. Anyways I have posted a link to the exe. Let me know if this works.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

amarthapa wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:58 am
Graham Banks wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:43 am
Yeah, that would be helpful. Anyways I have posted a link to the exe. Let me know if this works.
Attachments
Needs files.
Needs files.
Vengeance message.jpg (54.11 KiB) Viewed 9856 times
amarthapa

Post by amarthapa »

Okay, I will need to figure this out. Will post something in a day or so.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

amarthapa wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:26 am Okay, I will need to figure this out. Will post something in a day or so.
Okay. Do you belong to one of the engine programming channels in Discord?
amarthapa

Post by amarthapa »

I don't. Can you tell me any one of them?
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

amarthapa wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:38 am I don't. Can you tell me any one of them?
https://discord.gg/k9s7hdfZ
amarthapa

Post by amarthapa »

Graham Banks wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:42 am
amarthapa wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:38 am I don't. Can you tell me any one of them?
https://discord.gg/k9s7hdfZ
Thanks, I joined it.
amarthapa

Post by amarthapa »

amarthapa wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:26 am Okay, I will need to figure this out. Will post something in a day or so.
Here is a new build for Windows https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G7qZtf ... share_link . This should work fine. I tested it using Wine for Linux.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

amarthapa wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:53 am
Here is a new build for Windows https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G7qZtf ... share_link . This should work fine. I tested it using Wine for Linux.
Nothing happens when I doubleclick on the exe.
amarthapa

Post by amarthapa »

Graham Banks wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:31 am
amarthapa wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:53 am
Nothing happens when I doubleclick on the exe.
Could you open a command prompt in windows and cd into the directory containing the engine and then type Vengeance.exe in the command prompt? Alternatively, you can also import the exe in some kind of uci-enabled chess GUI like Arena or CuteChess Gui. Its a uci engine, so you need to give it uci commands for it to give outputs.

"Press Windows+R to open “Run” box. Type “cmd” and then click “OK” to open a regular Command Prompt."

You could also drag and drop the exe file in the said command prompt. And then hit enter to run the engine.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

If I create it as an engine in ChessGUI, there are no parameters visible to set, and when it is its turn to move, it just exits.
amarthapa

Post by amarthapa »

Graham Banks wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:45 am If I create it as an engine in ChessGUI, there are no parameters visible to set, and when it is its turn to move, it just exits.
Ok. I think I will have to build it in a windows system for compatibility. I will post the executables once I do that.
Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

I managed to compile it for Windows using the makefile, also by directly using GCC. However, in both cases the exe does not run, it seems it requires a network file to run. Where can I download it from?

EDIT: I have just read the readme and it says Vengeance does not use NNUE evaluation. Still, upon starting the engine outputs this line: Not able to load network.
amarthapa

Post by amarthapa »

Gabor Szots wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:58 am I managed to compile it for Windows using the makefile, also by directly using GCC. However, in both cases the exe does not run, it seems it requires a network file to run. Where can I download it from?

EDIT: I have just read the readme and it says Vengeance does not use NNUE evaluation. Still, upon starting the engine outputs this line: Not able to load network.
I see. I mistakenly added a network file for NNUE when I was doing some tests. However, this current version does not use NNUE but has some code for it. I will either post the said network file or remove some code related to it and post a new exe.

Thanks for the bug hunt!

The NNUE code is there but currently its a work in progress.
Last edited by amarthapa on Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
amarthapa

Post by amarthapa »

amarthapa wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:06 am
Gabor Szots wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:58 am I managed to compile it for Windows using the makefile, also by directly using GCC. However, in both cases the exe does not run, it seems it requires a network file to run. Where can I download it from?

I see. I mistakenly added a network file for NNUE when I was doing some tests. However, this current version does not use NNUE but has some code for it. I will either post the said network file or remove some code related to it and post a new exe.

Thanks for the bug hunt!
Here is the link for the new exe -> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dd0TYK ... share_link
Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

amarthapa wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:10 am

Thanks for the bug hunt!
Here is the link for the new exe -> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dd0TYK ... share_link
Please update the sources accordingly as well.
amarthapa

Post by amarthapa »

Gabor Szots wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:12 am
amarthapa wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:10 am

Thanks for the bug hunt!
Please update the sources accordingly as well.
Updated.
Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

Thanks, this works. I attach the exe obtained using the makefile.