WebCache.. you really need to try it!!

Endgame analysis using tablebases, EGTB generation, exchange, sharing, discussions, etc..
Coleus
Sign-up code: 0

WebCache.. you really need to try it!!

Post by Coleus »

Just to let you know that I have downloaded over 1GB of WebCached EGTB's
in 4 days...this is extra to what I would normally download in that period.

You really need to try it and see it to believe it!

Download rates can only get better if more people join.

Please change to StulleMule v4.1 and set the WebCache Proxy

This is my Emule Traffic

File: Daily Traffic Report

Date: 2006-12-02 --- 2006-12-09

Date Day Downloaded Uploaded Both
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
2006-12-09 Saturday 11.14 GB 1.60 GB 12.74 GB
2006-12-08 Friday 5.64 GB 1.85 GB 7.49 GB
2006-12-07 Thursday 6.71 GB 1.80 GB 8.51 GB
2006-12-06 Wednesday 7.83 GB 1.77 GB 9.60 GB
2006-12-05 Tuesday 7.88 GB 1.81 GB 9.69 GB
2006-12-04 Monday 7.82 GB 1.65 GB 9.48 GB
2006-12-03 Sunday 5.97 GB 1.60 GB 7.57 GB
2006-12-02 Saturday 7.61 GB 1.65 GB 9.26 GB

Regards Coleus
EnPlaisant

Post by EnPlaisant »

Hi,

That is what I call honest ! Say you download far more than upload !
That is because I upload 60 kBytes/s to Coleus and get ONLY 386 Bytes back ! Be careful else you will get on a blacklist !

Marco de Boer
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

I was wondering about webcache. As far as I understand, it was not originally intended for sharing terabytes of niche database among 10-20 individuals.. It was probably intended for speeding up browsing the web.

So. My intuitive understanding is that by using webcache for EGTB exchange we are basically breaking the web, and not being nice to our providers. We probably don't want to alienate the providers against p2p even more than they are now.

Any comments? I'd be glad if someone can show me any evidence that internet providers approve of how you use the web-cache.
Pachnes

Post by Pachnes »

Kirill Kryukov wrote:I was wondering about webcache. As far as I understand, it was not originally intended for sharing terabytes of niche database among 10-20 individuals.. It was probably intended for speeding up browsing the web.

So. My intuitive understanding is that by using webcache for EGTB exchange we are basically breaking the web, and not being nice to our providers. We probably don't want to alienate the providers against p2p even more than they are now.

Any comments? I'd be glad if someone can show me any evidence that internet providers approve of how you use the web-cache.
Internet providers did install their webcache proxies within their network, to minimize traffic. Example: Customer A of ISP XY does open the website http://www.microsoft.com. The content of this site will be cached by the proxy. Customer B of the same ISP than a few minutes later does open http://www.microsoft.com too. The ISP now can deliver http://www.microsoft.com from his proxy and does spare traffic. These webcache proxies do work only for customers of the ISP.

We use a public webcache proxy, which does not belong to any ISP.
Regards,

Thomas
Pachnes

Post by Pachnes »

EnPlaisant wrote:Hi,

That is what I call honest ! Say you download far more than upload !
That is because I upload 60 kBytes/s to Coleus and get ONLY 386 Bytes back ! Be careful else you will get on a blacklist !

Marco de Boer
Hi Marco,

this is the normal situation with most providers. I have a DSL line from my provider, which can download 740 KB, but I can only upload 64 KB. But this difference will be recognised by the eMule rating system and I climb slower the upload queue. You can see the rating of the clients, who want to download from you in your upload queue.

See -> http://wiki.filesharingweb.de/index.php ... it_Systems

I did see you a few times trying to run ScarAngel (and/or StulleMule? I do not remember). You every time came back to Standard eMule. Did you have problems with it? Why did you not ask here, what could be wrong with your config? I would help in advance. You can post me too via eMule messaging system.

But we should discuss it here, as other members can than read it.

I am afraid, there is a bug in the implementation of webcache in ScarAngel, so most of us now use StulleMule 4.1.

Maybe Kirill can open a third column in the forum, dedicated to the configuration of eMule. Than we will not disturb the members here, who want to discuss about ETGB in general.
Regards,

Thomas