Webcache: Downloadrate does increase. Update 05.12.2006

Endgame analysis using tablebases, EGTB generation, exchange, sharing, discussions, etc..
Pachnes
Sign-up code: 0

Webcache: Downloadrate does increase. Update 05.12.2006

Post by Pachnes »

Hi,

I would like to ask all users, who now use any eMule, to update to MorphXT 9.2 or a MorphXT 9.2 based eMule. There are two fine Mods which are based on Morph XT 9.2: StulleMule 4.1 and MagicAngel 2.1. All three Mods have the webcache feature.

-> http://emulemorph.sourceforge.net/modul ... load&cid=1
-> http://stulle.emule-web.de/
-> http://emulebase.de/files/Magic-Angel/

-> http://forum.emule-project.net/index.ph ... pic=103882
(you need an account to view the most important subforums)

Explanation of Webcache Function:

English:
http://wiki.filesharingweb.de/index.php ... h:Webcache
German:
http://wiki.filesharingweb.de/index.php/German:Webcache

Nice Graphik which shows the download peaks, which come from Webcache:
http://wiki.filesharingweb.de/index.php ... tistik.gif

When you have installed your new eMule with Webcache and it is running well and you are ready to configure webcache, please use the following parameters at the webcache configuration in "Options" "Modname":

IP wcitalia.no-ip.info
Port 80

You must open Port 80 in your firewall and must forward this port in your router, if you use a router.

At "Show advanced controls" in webcache configuration please write 0 at 180 KB-Blocks, uncheck (disable) all 4 items.
You should than leave the config menu with "OK" and restart your eMule.
Last edited by Pachnes on Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:51 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Regards,

Thomas
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Hi Thomas, thanks for information!

I wonder if me using webcache will also help? I don't download currently, only upload, so I guess there is no point to use webcache here?
Pachnes

Post by Pachnes »

Hi Kirill!

Yes, there is a very good reason, that you as a releaser does use webcache:

Example:

You and the clients A, B, C, D, E, F, ... are connected to the same (public) webcache proxy. Client C is in your queue and is asking for chunk no. 52 of file kppkpp from you. When client C gets an upload slot you do not download directly to him, your emule with webcache function does split the chunk to 180 KB blocks and is sending these blocks one after the other as "html-files" to the webcache proxy server. Client C is informed about the names of these "html-files", and does download these 180 KB blocks from the webcache proxy in advance. The same time you and client C inform all clients, which are asking for the same file and have webcache function enabled, that they can download 180 KB of this file. They download this 180 KB in advance from the proxy, before the 180 KB block is lost on the webcache proxy. Webcache proxies cache "html-files" for a number of minutes, before they are dismissed as valueless.

This way we can virtually increase the upload bandwith of each releaser enormous.

The clients are able, to download the "html-files" from the webcache proxy in advance, because in general they have download capacity left. The webcache function in their eMule will convert the "html-files" back to normal eMule format and than store the converted files in eMuleTemp in the right *.part-file.
Regards,

Thomas
Pachnes

Connected to public proxy wcitalia.no-ip.info at Port 80

Post by Pachnes »

clocks, Coleus, CrewBuckUS, EnPlaisant, olaf, PAKman-1, Sharelord, thenfadil, zutizu and me are now connected to the public webcache proxy

wcitalia.no-ip.info at Port 80.

It is working well.

I upload every day 250 MB to the webcache proxy. All clients with webcache configured and enabled upload to this webcache proxy And all these clients with webcache enabled can download all, what the others did upload.

A very good system. I think, with 15 clients with webcache everybody can download 2 GB or more every day only from the webcache.
Last edited by Pachnes on Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:02 am, edited 9 times in total.
Regards,

Thomas
Anaconda

Post by Anaconda »

Hi,

so far the configuration is done with ScarAngel 1.7. The logfile says

Webcache has been reactivated.
Proxy configuration Test Successfull

I hope that more people will install ScarAngel so that we can test the webcache feature with more clients.

Kai
clocks

Post by clocks »

I'm going to get mine set up with the web cache, sounds like a good plan. I was interested to see my upload totals. However, it sounds like I won't be able to see this at all if someone is downloading from the proxy?

Not a big deal, anything all helps, even an extra 100MB is helpful in the end. Just curious if there is anyway to see the traffic. I'm certainly assuming not.

Derek
Pachnes

Re: Webcache Proxy wcitalia.no-ip.info at port 80

Post by Pachnes »

Hi!

The new configuration does work well:

wcitalia.no-ip.info at port 80

At "Show advanced controls" in webcache configuration please write 0 at 180 KB-Blocks, uncheck (disable) all 4 items.

With this configuration I now upload to the webcache proxy every day about 250 MB. And this upload is initiated from only 8 members, who use together with me webcache.

These 250 MB are a possible extra download which I offer for 7 of the 8 members, which use webcache.

(One of the members initiated my upload and does not benefit from this extra download possiblility)

Remember: We must be connected all to the same webcache proxy. You can see in the upload queue in the column "webcache capable", to which proxy we are connected.

Please join us, it is worth it!
Last edited by Pachnes on Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Thomas
Coleus

Post by Coleus »

Hi All

I agree with Thomas...this WC does work!!

I upload about 40MB PD through it.

Please all upgrade ur mule and set the Webcache proxy

Regards

Coleus
Pachnes

Re: Webcache: Downloadrate does increase. Update 29.11.2006

Post by Pachnes »

Hi,

I am afraid, ScarAngel 1.7 has a bug in its webcache implementation. So I recommend StulleMule 4.1 as coleus and I have tested the webcache feature with this mod and webcache does work with it.

I have posted to Stulle, who is the developer of both Mods about the issue with ScarAngel 1.7.

Maybe it is only a small bug, which can be fixed with a ScarAngel 1.7.1, otherwise the Xtreme fraction has to wait until the next main release of the ScarAngel.
Regards,

Thomas