Starting a 6-piece-collection, too

Endgame analysis using tablebases, EGTB generation, exchange, sharing, discussions, etc..
Andreas Schwartmann
Sign-up code: 0

Starting a 6-piece-collection, too

Post by Andreas Schwartmann »

I have begun downloading 6-piece tbs as well.

Hence some questions:

In order to use KPPKPP: Will I need to download all other 3-3 tbs too? Or will I risk some engines screwing up when it comes to underpromotion time?

End: What other 6-piece TBs should I download at all (completeness is not an option at the moment). Will the Top 10 of http://kd.lab.nig.ac.jp/chess/discussio ... c.php?t=74 be enough?

Andreas
Pachnes

Re: Starting a 6-piece-collection, too

Post by Pachnes »

Andreas Schwartmann wrote:I have begun downloading 6-piece tbs as well.

Hence some questions:

In order to use KPPKPP: Will I need to download all other 3-3 tbs too? Or will I risk some engines screwing up when it comes to underpromotion time?

End: What other 6-piece TBs should I download at all (completeness is not an option at the moment). Will the Top 10 of http://kd.lab.nig.ac.jp/chess/discussio ... c.php?t=74 be enough?

Andreas
Hi Andreas,

welcome to the community.

Yes, if you want to use kppkpp, you need complete TB33 and complete TB33p to cover all possible positions.

The Top 10 can not be enough: Number 10 is kqpkpp. There could be the possibilty, that black can force to promote and than you need kqpkqp and kqpkrp too (Maybe promoting to Queen is patt and promoting to Rook wins?) You must decide yourself, which ones you need to download.

And do not worry about Horst Wanderlebens Post in CSS. No leechers here!

Have a nice time with us. :-)
Regards,

Thomas
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Hi Andreas! Nice to hear that you are joining!

About KPPKPP - I think you should be fine using it even without any other sets. These days most of engines are clever enough to handle promotion and incomplete tablebase situation.

Of course having all K?PKPP sets is a good idea in any case as these endgames often happen in real games. Most probably you want to install all K?PKPP tablebases. In that case you will not need to worry about any issues with KPPKPP itself. :-)
Andreas Schwartmann

Kirill Kryukov wrote:Hi Andreas! Nice to hear that you are joining!

About KPPKPP - I think you should be fine using it even without any other sets. These days most of engines are clever enough to handle promotion and incomplete tablebase situation.

Of course having all K?PKPP sets is a good idea in any case as these endgames often happen in real games. Most probably you want to install all K?PKPP tablebases. In that case you will not need to worry about any issues with KPPKPP itself. :-)
This depends on the space they take. Any hints?

Andreas
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Andreas Schwartmann wrote:This depends on the space they take. Any hints?

Andreas
KPPKPP – 0.97 GB in 1 file
KNPKPP – 4.86 GB in 10 files
KBPKPP – 4.61 GB in 10 files
KRPKPP – 4.27 GB in 10 files
KQPKPP – 3.02 GB in 10 files
Andreas Schwartmann

I see ...

Anyway: Downloading from p2p takes too long ... I only get about 50 kb/s for these 3:3 nalimovs. Since I need my computer for other things too (CCRL!), I don't have the time to wait on the downloads to complete in a few years and the practical use of 6-piece-nalimovs for me is quite low, actually. You can't really use them in engine matches anyway. ;-)

So I better wait, till there's some better way to get those files. Double-sided BluRay-Discs come to mind. ;-)

Andreas
Wulff
Sign-up code: 10159

Post by Wulff »

Hi Andreas!

Are you using a High ID in Emule ?? Otherwise you are cutting yourself off from a lot of sources.....
Andreas Schwartmann

Wulff wrote:Hi Andreas!

Are you using a High ID in Emule ?? Otherwise you are cutting yourself off from a lot of sources.....

I found out what was wrong:

I am using XTreme 5.3.1 and I had NAFC enabled. This slowed my connection down to 1.0 - 3.0 kb/s.

Now I have disabled it and I am getting about 60 - 70 kb/s right now. :-)

So I am back on board.

Andreas