Longest Win for each Bishop Combination?

Endgame analysis using tablebases, EGTB generation, exchange, sharing, discussions, etc..
byakuugan
Sign-up code: 10159

Longest Win for each Bishop Combination?

Post by byakuugan »

Instead of finding the absolute longest win of an endgame, does anyone know of a way to find the longest win for each combination of bishops?

Even in endgames with only one bishop, there will often be two types of wins (if it is a normally drawn endgame): one where the defender's king is near a corner that is the same color as the bishop, and one where it is not. Since these types of endgames are normally draws when the defender's king is near the center, the two types of wins tend to never be sub-variations of the same position, so it is important to know the longest win for each.

Example: The longest wins in KRB vs. KR are DTC59

7K/R7/4k3/8/1b6/8/3r4/8 b - - 0 1

and

5k2/3K4/8/5r2/1R6/8/3B4/8 w - - 0 1

The bishop is the same color as the corner in both positions, and the simple Philidor Position is eventually reached in both. Is there a way to find the longest win where the bishop is NOT the same color as the corner? So far, the longest win I've found is 7K/1r6/8/R2bk3/8/8/8/8 b - - 0 1 where the simple Lolli Position is eventually reached. I've never found a position where both the Philidor and Lolli positions are sub-variations of the same position.

Another long endgame with a similar bishop problem is KBN vs. KN, because the longest wins will be completely different depending on the color of the bishop compared to the corner that the defender's king is near.
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin
Sign-up code: 0

Re: Longest Win for each Bishop Combination?

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Wilhelm by Rafael Andrist can perform these kind of searches and more.
byakuugan

Post by byakuugan »

The only download page I found was: http://web.archive.org/web/200711130631 ... nglish.htm which downloads to my computer fine, but won't install properly. I have Windows 7. Let me know if anyone is able to install the program successfully, or if there is another download page I should use.
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin
Sign-up code: 0

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Yes, this archaic software unfortunately has some issues with Vista and 7. I managed to install it on Vista few years ago, but I forgot the details now. Still, it's excellent once you manage to install it. May be try experimenting with compatibility options, or install XP in a virtual machine. Sorry I don't remember what what the issue and how exactly I unstalled it.
byakuugan

Post by byakuugan »

I managed to install Wilhelm, but I'm not sure how to use .emd files with it. When I go to EGTB manager, it says "missing" on all endgames, but when I try to assign, they still appear as "missing."