Question: Scorpio 1.8

Questions and comments related to CCRL testing study
Mr Mas
Sign-up code: 0

Question: Scorpio 1.8

Post by Mr Mas »

Firstly i would like to congratulate the creators of CCRL, wich is awasome for those who want more information about engines rating list. It is extremely organisated, trustfull and updated.
This s my first message here, so i tried to use the forum's "search" system on the forum but i didn't find the information I seek. Actually, I have 2 questions if anyone can help me:
1) What's up with Ruffian 1.0.1 and SlowChess? I have just got it and matched it, but their think lines as so similar. Evaluation scores, moves and ELO differences are too small. Do they come from the same programmers or something like it?
2) Where can I find a downloable version of Scorpio 1.8?

I am making myself a 4'+2'' engine tournment, would you be intersted on the results or tablebases?

Thanks everyone for your patience.
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Re: Question: Scorpio 1.8

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Mr Mas wrote:Firstly i would like to congratulate the creators of CCRL, wich is awasome for those who want more information about engines rating list. It is extremely organisated, trustfull and updated.
This s my first message here, so i tried to use the forum's "search" system on the forum but i didn't find the information I seek. Actually, I have 2 questions if anyone can help me:
1) What's up with Ruffian 1.0.1 and SlowChess? I have just got it and matched it, but their think lines as so similar. Evaluation scores, moves and ELO differences are too small. Do they come from the same programmers or something like it?
Hi Mas! Thanks for regards and comments! This is new information to me! I did not notice they have similar evaluations and moves. We will try to check it! Ruffian and Slow Chess Blitz come from different programmers. We will run some games to find the correlation between them.
Mr Mas wrote:2) Where can I find a downloable version of Scorpio 1.8?
You can download it at WBEC.
Mr Mas wrote:I am making myself a 4'+2'' engine tournment, would you be intersted on the results or tablebases?

Thanks everyone for your patience.
Yes sure! Please post your results here or in other chess forum like CCC! :)
Mr Mas

Post by Mr Mas »

Kirill Kryukov wrote: I did not notice they have similar evaluations and moves. We will try to check it! Ruffian and Slow Chess Blitz come from different programmers. We will run some games to find the correlation between them.
It seemed to me really equal one to another, and so the matches results. After 20 games, SlowChess started to have an advantage, maybe because it's newer, maybe because of its learning curve. Anyway, I would like to get the feedback on your tests.
Kirill Kryukov wrote: You can download it at WBEC.
I'm sorry. I'm such a newbie. How should I use a .rar engine on Fritz 9?
Kirill Kryukov wrote: Yes sure! Please post your results here or in other chess forum like CCC! :)
As soon the first round is over I will post it.
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Mr Mas wrote:How should I use a .rar engine on Fritz 9?
rar is an archive, similar to zip. You have to extract it first. The engine is inside the archive, compressed. To extract it you should use any archiever software that can understand RAR format, for example 7-Zip program can extract it. You can download 7-Zip for free from this site.

And don't worry, everyone is a newbie once in a while. :-)
Last edited by Kirill Kryukov on Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Mas

Post by Mr Mas »

I swear its my very last question about it: Once I have downloaded 7-up and extratct all the files and pastes from scorpio.rar, how does it work? I mean, i can't make it an UCI engine, neither execute the scorpio.exe ("EgbbProbe not loaded!") .
Shaun
Sign-up code: 10159

Post by Shaun »

PM me with your email address and I will forward you a single zip file that you can unzip in the engines directory.

That will probably be the best way to get you up and running.

Shaun