Thankyou for this effort!

Questions and comments related to CCRL testing study
glider1
Sign-up code: 10159

Thankyou for this effort!

Post by glider1 »

Your effort is doubly wonderful for showing some reasonably meaty statistics on Chess960(FRC). Thanks for supplying all the data. Amazing that there is no position that appears to be utterly unbalanced. Worst case 69% wins for white and 39% draws. Most interesting is that when the draw rate drops to less than 10%, white wins do not explode but stay less than 60%. I notice buried in there is standard chess at 49% white wins and 16% draws. I should create a distribution graph but on an eyeball look, there appear to be 100 or more starting positions sitting at 50% white wins with similar draw rates to standard chess.

Chess960 is a very beautiful deep jungle of opportunity for the future of chess. Thanks again for these pioneering stats and the consistent application of dedication and effort to achieve them!
Cheers
Ray
Sign-up code: 10159

Re: Thankyou for this effort!

Post by Ray »

Thank you for your kind words. Kirill is the brains behind the web site and those statistics. The ratings information itself is perhaps less interesting on this list, because with a few exceptions they would generally be broadly consistent with ratings for normal chess. It is the statistics on the opening positions which have the potential to be really interesting, with each opening played strictly with switched sides. Bear in mind that there are some quite weak engines at the bottom of the list, you might want to exclude those games perhaps, I don't know.

I share your enthusiasm for chess960, standard chess holds no interest for me any more. I think opening books have destroyed that game, at least for computer chess.