Gaviota EGTB

Endgame analysis using tablebases, EGTB generation, exchange, sharing, discussions, etc..
dann corbit

Gaviota EGTB

Post by dann corbit »

Gaviota EGTB will soon be released with Berkeley license.
It means that any chess programmer will be able to have Tablebase access without the very long waits to contact Eugene and also they can be used for any purpose.

Currently, it only generates up to 5 man files, but there are plans to perform the large files also.
Ray
Sign-up code: 10159

Re: Gaviota EGTB

Post by Ray »

That is really good news, and very generous of Miguel

They are of course uncompressed, so 5-men takes up about 38GB on your hard drive
dann corbit

Post by dann corbit »

I have been discussing a compression scheme with him.

If he decides it is a good idea, we should get about 10:1 compression so the 5 men files will consume 3.8 GB instead.
Codeman

Post by Codeman »

Great news

I would be interested in some details please:
Format: DTM, DTC, DTZ or bitbases?
Indexing used
Generation algorithm

regards,
Edmund
dann corbit

Post by dann corbit »

It's DTM
I am not terribly familiar with the internals as yet.
I suppose that some patience will be needed until the big unveiling.
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin
Sign-up code: 0

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Terrific news. Berkeley license is a good choice. :)
redpawn

Post by redpawn »

Hi All:

Any new news regarding Gaviota EGTB progress:

1 -
dann corbit wrote:I have been discussing a compression scheme with him.

If he decides it is a good idea, we should get about 10:1 compression so the 5 men files will consume 3.8 GB instead.
Are we getting any news on that because it's very important.

2 - .
Currently, it only generates up to 5 man files, but there are plans to perform the large files also
It would really be very nice to have a foramt that covers All man egtb up to 7 Man

3 - I'm generating Gaviota's EGTB (30 GB at the moment) would any one post MD5 sum for the whole 3 4 5 files

Best Regards,

Wassim
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

I just saw the latest news posted at CCC: Gaviota's EGTBs are only 6.5 Gb now. It seems it is not in the released version yet, but a great progress is being made.
redpawn

Post by redpawn »

Thanks Kirill:

Always the helping hand :D

Best regards,
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

I'm a little behind, just noticed the post on talkchess about that engine. Having it generate 4-5 men on my server now.

Looks nifty, what little I've seen of the engine I really like it. Willing to host the dataset if the author gives permission.

-Josh
mballicora

Post by mballicora »

redpawn wrote:Hi All:

Any new news regarding Gaviota EGTB progress:

1 -
dann corbit wrote:I have been discussing a compression scheme with him.

Are we getting any news on that because it's very important.

2 - .
Currently, it only generates up to 5 man files, but there are plans to perform the large files also
It would really be very nice to have a foramt that covers All man egtb up to 7 Man

3 - I'm generating Gaviota's EGTB (30 GB at the moment) would any one post MD5 sum for the whole 3 4 5 files

Best Regards,

Wassim
Hi, I am developing Gaviota and this is my first post here after Josh told me about it.
You do not need MD5sum for the files. The program tbcheck plays that role as it is explained here:
http://sites.google.com/site/gaviotache ... blebases-1
tbcheck.exe (tbcheck in linux) comes with the gaviota distribution in the download section.

I will release a compressor when a final compression scheme is decided. So far, I can get all the 3-4-5 files to 6.5 Gb without hurting the probing speed, which I think is already satisfactory.

Miguel
redpawn

Post by redpawn »

Hi:

I did find what tbcheck do & I'm going to test my Gaviota EGTB with it,

I've completed the generation two days ago.

Best Regrds & Thanks for your Generousity ,

Wassim
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

Still working on the 5men set been grinding it since last Thu/Friday'ish. What was the total size for the 3-4-5 set as is (not compressed) .gtb files.

Right now my set is about 17gigs.

-Josh
ernest

Post by ernest »

jshriver wrote:What was the total size for the 3-4-5 set as is (not compressed) .gtb files.Josh
??? :D
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4675&sid=3c97109ff9 ... 998#p48446
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Now there is discussion about its API, at CCC. Don't miss it!
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

Aye been following :) great ideas and suggestions. It's fun seeing how things are developing and how many people are interested.

Feel a little sorry for the author, know several people besides myself are foaming at the mouth over the prospect of this and waiting for it to go into production. Let alone the engine itself is well constructed and I enjoy playing it.
redpawn

Post by redpawn »

Hi All:

First of all thank you very much Miguel:

I Have generated All 3+4+5 Gaviota's EndGame Tablebases, checked them with tbcheck, Compressed them with 7zip & Backed them up on a DVD (2 Copies).

And Now:
1 - We are waiting for the compression scheme and I hope we are going to apply the compression to the files that we have already generated not on new files that we are going to generate again.
2 – I think the next logical step is the ability to generate 6 Man EGTB and even 7 Man might be feasible soon, certainly a lot of people are looking forward to this feature & for me it's very needed.
3 – The generation must use less RAM (very annoying in the case of 6 Man) & must be faster, Not that it's slow now but faster is better.
4 – If FEG is able to generate most 6 Man EGTB with less than 300MB RAM I hope Gaviota will do the same & even better, I want to be able to generate by my self

the whole 6 Man sets.
5 – I Hope a lot of engine authors will adopt the probing code very soon but for me only a couple of promising engines is enough, hopefully Stockfish, Spark & Doch

to be of the first to adopt.
6 – Since it's going to be opensource I hope that we'll have a GUI or two that will help users with weak knowledge or fear of command line utilities to generate the

tables themselves.

Best Regards,

Wassim
mballicora

Post by mballicora »

redpawn wrote:Hi All:

First of all thank you very much Miguel:

I Have generated All 3+4+5 Gaviota's EndGame Tablebases, checked them with tbcheck, Compressed them with 7zip & Backed them up on a DVD (2 Copies).

And Now:
1 - We are waiting for the compression scheme and I hope we are going to apply the compression to the files that we have already generated not on new files that we are going to generate again.
Of course.

2 – I think the next logical step is the ability to generate 6 Man EGTB and even 7 Man might be feasible soon, certainly a lot of people are looking forward to this feature & for me it's very needed.
3 – The generation must use less RAM (very annoying in the case of 6 Man) & must be faster, Not that it's slow now but faster is better.
I have an idea how to use the amount of memory provided (faster with more, but feasible with with very little). I hope it will work. Generating with less memory is critical because generating 6-pc TBs will have to be a community oriented task. I may not do it at home because I may not have the luxury to spend so many resources for it. It may be better to have 50 people generating them and sharing them later.

4 – If FEG is able to generate most 6 Man EGTB with less than 300MB RAM I hope Gaviota will do the same & even better, I want to be able to generate by my self

the whole 6 Man sets.
5 – I Hope a lot of engine authors will adopt the probing code very soon but for me only a couple of promising engines is enough, hopefully Stockfish, Spark & Doch
to be of the first to adopt.
That is not up to me :-)

6 – Since it's going to be opensource I hope that we'll have a GUI or two that will help users with weak knowledge or fear of command line utilities to generate the
tables themselves.
That will be a great project for someone with GUI expertise. I may agree to shape the commands in order to fit a given protocol of communication with the GUI.

Miguel
Best Regards,

Wassim
redpawn

Post by redpawn »

Hi Miguel:
I have an idea how to use the amount of memory provided (faster with more, but feasible with with very little). I hope it will work. Generating with less memory is critical because generating 6-pc TBs will have to be a community oriented task. I may not do it at home because I may not have the luxury to spend so many resources for it. It may be better to have 50 people generating them and sharing them later.
I know at least 2 or 3 people (from this forum only) who we'll be happy to do the generation, even I will try to help.

Best Regards,

Wassim
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

+1 here willing to help generate 6men when the time comes.
redpawn

Post by redpawn »

Hi All:

The other forum members to support this project will be (I Guess):

1 - Kirill
2 - Ray
3 - Gabor

When the ability to Generate 6 Man Tablebases is added to Gaviota, I think the mentioned above forum member will be a lot of help

Best Regards,

Wassim

P.S: I Haven't talked to any one of them about this & listing them here was based upon the interest they are showing in Gaviota EGTB & other factors.