CCRL Blitz DB with clocks and evals?

Questions and comments related to CCRL testing study
thijs
Sign-up code: 10159

CCRL Blitz DB with clocks and evals?

Post by thijs »

Hi all,

For an academic research project, we are studying differences between how humans and engines play (blitz) chess, besides the obvious differences in playing strength.

For evaluating human play, we found the Lichess Open DB is convenient to work with, as many games include both clock times and computer evaluations of all positions.

For a similar evaluation of computer chess, the largest open database of engine (blitz) games we came across is the CCRL Blitz DB, but unfortunately the games have been stripped to only include moves.

Is there any possibility to get the non-stripped version of the CCRL Blitz DB, with move times and computer evaluations? Or if not, does anyone happen to know any other large databases of engine blitz/rapid games with clock times and computer evaluations?

Thanks in advance!
Ray

Re: CCRL Blitz DB with clocks and evals?

Post by Ray »

Why we don't offer it is that a minority of the games do not contain this information in the source pgns, possibly due to a GUI configuration error on the part of the tester, or some other reason. If you were prepared to sort through the games to identify those with and without the extended information, it could be made available to you. I'd suggest you might also want to cut down the database to eliminate the weaker engines for your analyses.
thijs

Post by thijs »

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, we would be prepared to go through the games to select those we can use - we also filtered the 3B Lichess games down to around 20M suitable games with analysis, so processing 2M games should be relatively smooth.
Ray

Post by Ray »

I've sent a PM with a download link. Let me know when you've successfully downloaded and un-zipped it.