HELP REQUEST

Questions and comments related to CCRL testing study
adhara80
Sign-up code: 0

HELP REQUEST

Post by adhara80 »

Hello guys,
I'm new here. Can anyone tell me the differences between the new Rybka 2.2n2 and the old 2.2? And what does the 32 bit and 64 bit exactly mean? Only the operating system used? (WINDOWS XP or VISTA) ?

Thank you for your kindness !

;)

Marco
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Hi Marco! Rybka 2.2n2 is a minor bugfix, which also has some cosmetic changes like added UCI options. Though as a Rybka customer you should receive a readme which explains it in detail?

About 32-bit and 64-bit - it is simple. 32-bit engine will work on any Windows OS (32-bit and 64-bit), 64-bit engine is stronger but works on 64-bit OS only.
Ray
Sign-up code: 10159

Post by Ray »

The rybka forum is also a good place to look for rybka information:

http://www.rybkaforum.com/

adhara80

Post by adhara80 »

Okay Kirill, thank you very much for your answer.

Just another couple of questions, if I can...
1) where can I found any stuff like new books, tournament books for blitz engine matches over the playchess and collection of positions with speed and ability tests 4 chess engines?

2) in a few days I will receive my new computer, a 4600+ Athlon (tm) X2 (dual core), 2 GB of 533 MHz Ram and so on..
I need a clear explanation about the using of SINGLE PROCESSOR chess engines and MULTI-PROCESSOR ones.
For example, with this computer can I use a MP (like rybka 2.2 mp 32 bit)
or I still have to use rybka 2.2 32 bit?) ?
I mean ... if I use a multi processor engine on a single machine, which kind of performances will I obtain? The same ( no speed advantage) or even worse ?

I will be pleased to receive a full explanation about this, because a friend of mine told me that even with my new 4600+ Athlon X2 dual core,
I would have not obtained any substantial performance improvment.

Thank you!

Marco
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Hi Marco,
adhara80 wrote:Okay Kirill, thank you very much for your answer.

Just another couple of questions, if I can...
1) where can I found any stuff like new books, tournament books for blitz engine matches over the playchess and collection of positions with speed and ability tests 4 chess engines?
Rybka is distributed together with a decent opening book. It can be used for "blitz engine matches over the playchess" very well. About the test positions, please try to google for "chess test suite".
adhara80 wrote:2) in a few days I will receive my new computer, a 4600+ Athlon (tm) X2 (dual core), 2 GB of 533 MHz Ram and so on..
I need a clear explanation about the using of SINGLE PROCESSOR chess engines and MULTI-PROCESSOR ones.
For example, with this computer can I use a MP (like rybka 2.2 mp 32 bit)
or I still have to use rybka 2.2 32 bit?) ?
I mean ... if I use a multi processor engine on a single machine, which kind of performances will I obtain? The same ( no speed advantage) or even worse ?
You can run Rybka 2.2 mp on a dual-core Athlon, it will use two threads and play quite stronger than single-CPU Rybka. It will be even more strong if you use 64-bit mp version.
adhara80 wrote:I will be pleased to receive a full explanation about this, because a friend of mine told me that even with my new 4600+ Athlon X2 dual core,
I would have not obtained any substantial performance improvment.

Thank you!

Marco
It is not possible to answer this without knowing what you are comparing to. For example, if you are comparing to Athlon 64 X2 4400+, then your friend is right, performance improvement is not big. If you are comparing with Athlon 1200 MHz, then 4600+ is big improvement.

Also as Ray said, questions about Rybka are better asked in Rybka forum, at least you will have more chance to get good answer there. Good luck! :-)