FAQ: How to download files with eMule?

Endgame analysis using tablebases, EGTB generation, exchange, sharing, discussions, etc..
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin
Sign-up code: 0

FAQ: How to download files with eMule?

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Hi all. One newcomer eMule user needs our help. I was replying by email, but I now think a forum thread will do better job. Please join and help if you can. :-)
Kirill

Thank you again for your patience and answer. I tried again using eMule and tyred to unload a single
tablebase:

68ffe79c08f444b75e1fd86eef5e5eaa kqqkqq.nbw.emd

I pasted this into the search window and got connection to Donkey server number 2 but I could not
download it. I went through the help system in eMule and found that the phrases used in´the help system is
different from the phrases actually used in the program menus. A typical hobby programming error. What
basicly is missing is a simple decription of how to downloading files. Everything else is covered in
details but the main thing about how to use the program is not mentioned. Again a hobby programmers error.

I do not think you should answer me but get someone to answer this on the home page. The references to
beginners help on eMule is insufficient.

You write:
"If you find difficult to download tablebases, most likely you don't want to even try computing them."

Actually I have been working with programming since 1978 and I find it easier to compute tablebases
than to download them. My program is only good for three men tables and was mainly made for fun. But it is
often easier to make your own programs than to use others. Especially when the manual is poor and the
introduction completely missing.

Again I wish you luck with your project but you have a long way to go if you want many users.

best regards
To download a file, you do like this:
1. Make sure that eMule is running and is connected to a server.
2. Open the project page ( http://kd.lab.nig.ac.jp/chess/tablebases-online/ ) in a browser.
3. On that page you locate tablebase you are interested in, like KQQKQR.
4. You click on KQQKQR. At this point you should see the links:

Code: Select all

ed2k://|file|kqqkqr.nbb.emd|1039958252|909ABE93430820297C0B8D012E02450F|/
ed2k://|file|kqqkqr.nbw.emd|591255139|29D2B1FF12C4BD19937CAE08E16E4273|/
5. You select all those links (by pressing Ctrl+A, or by using mouse).
6. You copy them into clipboard (by pressing Ctrl+C).
7. You switch from browser to eMule.
8. You switch into the "Transfers" tab of eMule. ("Transfers" button at the top of eMule window).
9. You paste the links (Ctrl+V). Alternatively you can press "Tools" button at the top and in the menu select "Paste eD2K Links" - it will do the same.

This should add the file(s) into the download queue of eMule. At this point you don't need to do anything more - eMule will do all the work looking for the files, downloading the chunks and assembling them together (assuming that step 1 was successful).

If any steps did not work for you, or if there are any other questions, please post and we will continue from there. (You can also ask by email, I will simply post the question and answer here). :-)

Everyone, if you have any other suggestions or comments, please post here. (Not any complex stuff, just how to get started with eMule). :-)
Pachnes
Sign-up code: 0

Re: FAQ: How to download files with eMule?

Post by Pachnes »

Hi!

In "Options", "General" there is a Button "ed2k Links" which must be pressed 1 time, before Windows associates eMule links with the Program eMule.

An other solution is, to search for the desired files in "Search", mark the files and right click to them. Then you can choose download.
Regards,

Thomas