How to parse CCRL-4040 pgn comments

Questions and comments related to CCRL testing study
Krisztian
Sign-up code: 10159

How to parse CCRL-4040 pgn comments

Post by Krisztian »

Hello Everybody,

Newbie here, first of all I would like to thank you for this great project!

I am working on a neural network based evaluation, so I thought to use the CCRL database for training. The commented database contains the evaluation, but the format seems somewhat inconsistent to me. My main problem is the sign of the evaluation. Sometimes it alternates between players, sometimes not.

Of course, the white player always reports from his perspective, but to use the black side I need more info. Does the sign depend on the engine output, or was there any change during the years? (I see changes in the book move comments, but those are relatively straightforward)

Any information about the comment format would be helpful.

Thank you very much!

All the best,
Krisztián
Gabor Szots

Re: How to parse CCRL-4040 pgn comments

Post by Gabor Szots »

As far as I know the sign depends only upon the perspective of that particular engine and maybe upon the GUI used (some GUI's can invert the sign). We do not edit the PGN's, the games are as the GUI wrote them into the file.

U.i.: Szia!
Ray

Post by Ray »

Yes - my comment was going to be that it is GUI dependent and we have no control over it. But also it may depend on the engine as well. So I think it will be difficult for you.
Krisztian

Post by Krisztian »

Thank you guys, I will then start with white only, it will be enough to see how far it goes!

U.i.: Szia Gábor, nagyon köszönöm az info-t! :)