Newcomer's questions

Questions and comments related to CCRL testing study
deterdettol
Sign-up code: 10159

Newcomer's questions

Post by deterdettol »

Hey all. I originally sent this post to Kirill (because I was not sure if this post is suitable for public posting) but since I haven't received a reply yet, I thought I should just post it here :)

---

I am a fan of Fabian Letouzey (Senpai 1.0) and I am interested to submit
more games to better represent its playing strength.

Here are my questions:

1) As a beginner, is there anything important to know regarding the testing
and submissions process, especially ensuring I set the tournament interface
correctly and that my testing meets the protocol? I am using Arena 3.5.1.

2) Is it okay to not use any EGTB at all? I am still very unclear about
downloading the files, and also whether I have the interest and disk space
to store them. Also, could you point me to any particular post where I
could learn more about them?

3) Some engines have different variants of the same version (i.e. BMI2,
popcnt). If they exist for a particular engine, which variant do I choose?

Thank you in advance.
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin
Sign-up code: 0

Re: Newcomer's questions

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

I've just replied to your mail, then noticed that it was already too late! So quoting my reply here. But basically it's good idea to ask in the forum first whenever possible.
Dear Deterdettol,

Thanks for your question and interest, and welcome to the forum! Your questions are most certainly appropriate to the board, feel free to ask anything there in the future. (Also please let me know in case anti-SPAM gives you any trouble).

First of all, I feel you may be confusing participation in the forum and participation in the CCRL group. The forum is open to anyone and is a platform for discussion and exchange of ideas, opinions, information, news, anything related to CCRL or computer chess in general. (Like many other computer chess related forums). You're most welcome to post there.

The membership in CCRL group is a bit different matter. Due to historical reasons, and due to some bad experiences that we had in the past, we are now very careful. This means two things basically: 1. We use only games submitted by group members. 2. Group membership is by invitation only, currently.

It's great that you have interest and enthusiasm in this field. I'm sure you'll enjoy this field and find many other enthusiasts. For beginning you can visit computer chess related forums, such as talkchess.com . Exchange your plans and ideas with other hobbyists there. Try running a few matches or tournaments and post the results. You will learn and have fun along the way.

For the questions. 1. - I guess already covered above. 2. - Yeah, it's not required to use endgame tablebases, however the common idea is to at least have the complete 3-4-5-piece tablebases. 3. You normally use the compile that performs best on your hardware. You can benchmark it if you are not sure.

Sorry for brief answer, please ask more questions at the forum!

All the best,
Kirill
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Hi,

only CCRL testers can submit games.

Graham.
deterdettol

Post by deterdettol »

Hi Graham, thanks for your reply.

In that case, how do I get to that stage?

Thanks.
Ray

Post by Ray »

deterdettol wrote: I am a fan of Fabian Letouzey (Senpai 1.0) and I am interested to submit more games to better represent its playing strength.
How do you think it's playing strength should be better represented ?

On the 4040 list on 1 CPU it has 1,903 games and on 4CPU 940 games. That is quite a good volume, and further games is not likely to change the rating much.

On the blitz list on 1 CPU it has 3,961 games and on 4CPU 1,303 games. Again this is a very good volume. On 1CPU especially the rating is not likely to move.
deterdettol

Post by deterdettol »

Ray wrote:
deterdettol wrote: I am a fan of Fabian Letouzey (Senpai 1.0) and I am interested to submit more games to better represent its playing strength.
How do you think it's playing strength should be better represented ?

On the 4040 list on 1 CPU it has 1,903 games and on 4CPU 940 games. That is quite a good volume, and further games is not likely to change the rating much.

On the blitz list on 1 CPU it has 3,961 games and on 4CPU 1,303 games. Again this is a very good volume. On 1CPU especially the rating is not likely to move.
I see. Thanks for the answers.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

deterdettol wrote:Hi Graham, thanks for your reply.

In that case, how do I get to that stage?

Thanks.
I've emailed you.