WARNING: Executables!!!

Questions and comments related to CCRL testing study
Shaun
Sign-up code: 10159

WARNING: Executables!!!

Post by Shaun »

Please note -

Before running an executable downloaded from here or anywhere ensure you know the source - be careful!
Anti virus/firewalls etc should be up to date/running and preferably the exe should be tested in a safe environment first e.g. a vmware session which has had a snapshot taken.

Please: report any concerns over exe's posted on this site and we will investigate/remove.

Shaun Brewer.
Earp

Re: WARNING: Executables!!!

Post by Earp »

Hi!

I check all my files with this helpful Website: https://www.virustotal.com/

Cu Earp
BFG

Post by BFG »

Just be aware that antivirus scans can register false positives sometimes as well. For example, my fully-up-to-date copy of Norton Internet Security 2014, with the most aggressive settings possible, blocks two of the latest Spark engines due to "poor reputation", not any genuine viral activity.
Graham Banks
Sign-up code: 0

Post by Graham Banks »

BFG wrote:Just be aware that antivirus scans can register false positives sometimes as well. For example, my fully-up-to-date copy of Norton Internet Security 2014, with the most aggressive settings possible, blocks two of the latest Spark engines due to "poor reputation", not any genuine viral activity.
Yes, you're correct.
I get blocked with spyware warnings when I try to access the Djinn site, plus a couple of other engine sites.
deefree49

Post by deefree49 »

Yes... I nearly got burned by a link that was supposed to be Black Mamba 2.0. It was on the 'Immortal Chess' Forum by poster named "Scorpion Chess". I'm not saying it was intentional but at the same time it seems to be proper to at least put out a warning to others.

My fault too because you should never download anything that isn't from the actual source site. Stuff everyone should know...

Eventually I did find the program on a safe site.
sugarr

Post by sugarr »

dejan

Post by dejan »

If the Windows executable runs on Wine (it should in most cases), I recommend testing inside a container (Docker or LXC). That way the testing environment will not be affected if the executable contains a virus.