On letting people see your available files

Endgame analysis using tablebases, EGTB generation, exchange, sharing, discussions, etc..
Cato the Younger
Sign-up code: 0

On letting people see your available files

Post by Cato the Younger »

If we look at this project objectively, the best possible result for everyone will be obtained if we collectively achieve the highest possible aggregate rate of uploading and downloading. Don't look at this project as an individual; look at it collectively.

If aggregate bandwidth is low, the rate of distribution will be low, hence download speeds will be low. If aggregate bandwidth is high, everything else will be high. In economic terms, high bandwidth is like free trade, and low bandwidth is like restricted trade.

So really we need to remove any barriers to bandwidth we can. One such barrier are people who don't "share files". If you don't know what the other guy has that you want, then it becomes harder to request it, except through someone else who might have it. (The alternative is to painstakingly search all the servers for specific combinations.)

Another thing. If you have the drive space, it is very foolish to have only a small number of files in your queue. What you want to be doing is uploading and downloading as fast as you possibly can--ALL the time. That can be achieved by requesting MANY files at the same time (my own queue has been over 700 files). If you want some files more than others, take off the Auto prioritization and manually prioritize the files you want into High, Normal and Low. This method works very well!

Cato
ryan_hirst

linking shared directories

Post by ryan_hirst »

On a tangental subject....
I have about 100GB of tablebases already on my drive (from the erstwhile ftp server) that I am placing into shared folders once Wilhelm verifies their integrity.
Is eMule intelligent enough to include these as sources for the identical emulecollection files? If not, how do I alter them (their links??) so that they will be available?

Thanks,
Ryan
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Re: linking shared directories

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

ryan_hirst wrote:I have about 100GB of tablebases already on my drive (from the erstwhile ftp server) that I am placing into shared folders once Wilhelm verifies their integrity.
Is eMule intelligent enough to include these as sources for the identical emulecollection files?
Yes.

eMule indexes, shares, and searches files by hash value, so as long as the files are identical they will be available as sources for the same ed2k link. It's good that you check your files with Wilhelm, so you can be sure your files are correct, and identical with those already shared.

Thanks for joining!
ryan_hirst

thank you

Post by ryan_hirst »

Excellent. Thanks. I do see the files being accessed now.
And THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for this community BTW. I've been pacing my cage waiting for something to happen ever since Hyatt's server got humped by UAB.

On off hours I have a pretty awesome 84KB/s upload. Are there any particular files that desperately need more hosts that I should concentrate on?

Cheers,
Ryan