Would adding 'friends' help?

Endgame analysis using tablebases, EGTB generation, exchange, sharing, discussions, etc..
Gordon
Sign-up code: 0

Would adding 'friends' help?

Post by Gordon »

Hi Folks!

As well as chess I am also interested in Flyfishing; I have acquired some flyfishing videos using emule and I have noticed that I a lot of people are accessing them.

I do not know, but I assume that this queue of people may be preventing chess people accessing my tablebases - or at least reducing their access.

I do not want to delete the fishing videos if I can avoid it, but I would certainly wish to give priority to people who want tablebases.

So - does making people 'friends' improve their access?
If so how does one do it?

Gordon :roll:
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Hi Gordon!

In standard eMule client you can set only one person as a friend. To set another one you have to 'unset' the first one first.. Friend slot may be useful, but I don't use it currently.

Another thing that can help is setting tablebase files upload priority to "high" or "release", and movies to "normal" or "low". Upload priority affects how fast someone who want to download that file will progress on your queue. eMule queue is not "first in first out" type, someone who wants to download a high priority file will advance faster. :-)
Cato the Younger

Why can't we be friends?

Post by Cato the Younger »

Being a "friend" does not in itself help upload/download traffic. Putting someone in the "friend slot" (and you only get to designate one preferred person for this at a time) does help that person go to the top of your queue.

If you want to help download speeds for tablebases then BY ALL MEANS get the frigging (sorry) flyfishing videos OFF your shared folders! Oh man, the idea that casting a line into a pond can compare with computer chess...
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

I forgot to tell how to set a friend slot: First you add someone into "friends": right click -> "Add To Friends". Second, you switch to "Messages" view in eMule, there you right click on that friend, and in menu choose "Establish Friend Slot". By this way that friend will be able to constantly download from you, as long as he wants to download something. :-)
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Re: Why can't we be friends?

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Cato the Younger wrote:If you want to help download speeds for tablebases then BY ALL MEANS get the frigging (sorry) flyfishing videos OFF your shared folders! Oh man, the idea that casting a line into a pond can compare with computer chess...
:-) Well, I don't give a crap about fishing, but if someone likes it it's alright, and we can't tell someone how he should use his bandwidth. It's great that Gordon already shares some rare bases with us. Simply playing with upload priorities should already help. :-)
joachimrang

Post by joachimrang »

Hi Gordon,

as others have pointed out setting someone to friend status does not help but changing the upload priority helps a lot. You should set all TBs to "Release"-Priority and all the flyfishing-crap to "very low". That will serve TBs first as long as there is someone downloading from you.

regards

Joachim