6-Piece EGTB Availability

Endgame analysis using tablebases, EGTB generation, exchange, sharing, discussions, etc..
Mike Hood
Sign-up code: 10159

6-Piece EGTB Availability

Post by Mike Hood »

After a hard drive crash earlier this year I'm having to download the 6-piece tablebases again. Two years ago it was relatively easy to get the tablebases with Emule, but now there are very few sources. I do believe that p2p is the best way to distribute files like this, and I'll certainly keep Emule running after my download is complete (when I'm not running a chess program), but like most private users have limited upload bandwidth. Consider this a plea for any readers who have lots of bandwidth to fire up Emule again.
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin
Sign-up code: 0

Re: 6-Piece EGTB Availability

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Hi Mike. Welcome to the forum, and good luck downloading the files. Unfortunately I had to delete all of them when I needed space for other projects, so I can't help at the moment.

One idea: you could try to send a HDD by post to someone who has the comlpete collection. It should be faster than downloading, and several members here were offering such help in the past (free of charge).
Ed Trice

Post by Ed Trice »

I have access to some very fast hardware. I am generating the 5-piece tablebase set on my slowest computer right now using these settings:

Cache size: 256 MB
Memory usage: 571 MB
Main memory: 4096 MB

I am wondering if anyone knows if these settings are optimal for TB5 generation? (they were filled in when I hit the SUGGEST button on the Tablebase Generator that had its own GUI under Windows.)

I also have 2 separate 5.0 GHz Intel Gulftowns (the i7-980X with 6 cores each) with 6 GB of RAM and 4.5 TB of storage (each). I was thinking about using them to generate a fresh copy of the 6-piece tablebases. Does anyone have an estimate for how long they took to generate on some common hardware platform? I can then scale it by some factor to account for my speed demons.
5.0 Ghz Intel Gulftown Supercomputers
http://www.liquidnitrogenoverclocking.com
ernest
Sign-up code: 0

Post by ernest »

Ed Trice wrote:I also have 2 separate 5.0 GHz Intel Gulftowns (the i7-980X with 6 cores each) with 6 GB of RAM and 4.5 TB of storage (each).
Congratulations! :mrgreen:

But I wonder if the existing TBGEN for the TB6 generation uses multicore.
Ed Trice

Post by Ed Trice »

ernest wrote:
But I wonder if the existing TBGEN for the TB6 generation uses multicore.
I can't get it to run at all! It came with a pre-configured file looking to run under 2 cores, so I am wondering what is messing it up?

Here is where you can get a 3.9 GHz, 4.0 GHz, or 5.0 GHz system:

http://www.liquidnitrogenoverclocking.com/

I like this one, 4.0 GHz x 4 cores and a very cool design with a custom panel showing the temps and speed of all of the cores.

5.0 Ghz Intel Gulftown Supercomputers
http://www.liquidnitrogenoverclocking.com