Gaviota TBs, compressor available

Endgame analysis using tablebases, EGTB generation, exchange, sharing, discussions, etc..
mballicora
Sign-up code: 10159

Gaviota TBs, compressor available

Post by mballicora »

tbcp is available here
http://sites.google.com/site/gaviotache ... e/download
together with the engine that can read compressed TBs.
if you type

tbcp <folder>

it will compress all the TBs available. There are different compression schemes (http://sites.google.com/site/gaviotachessengine/schemes) but the recommended one is scheme 4.
By default, the compressor will use that. type tbcp -h and you will find

Code: Select all

Compression/decompression utility for Gaviota Table Bases.
It uses different free compression algorithms. More information at
http://sites.google.com/site/gaviotachessengine/

quick example: tbcp gtb
 compresses all the endgame table base files in the folder "gtb"
 with the default compression scheme 2, and no deletion of the source files

usage: tbcp [-OPTION]... [folder]
 -h        print this help
 -v        print version number and exit
 -L        display the license information
 -c        compress (default)
 -d        decompress
 -k        keep, do not delete input files (default)
 -r        remove input files after compression/decompression
 -V        verify encoding/decoding on the fly
 -q        quiet (no output except error messages)
 -i <file> work on the given individual file, rather than a folder
 -s   #    set compression scheme (1-4, default=4)
 -S        compression scheme help
 -n   #    operate on up to 3-, 4- o 5-piece tablebases (default=5)

Copyright (c) 2009-2010 Miguel A. Ballicora
There is NO WARRANTY of any kind 
Please make sure you have backups before testing this. In Linux works very well, but you never know. You can compress/decompress any file if you want.
Not only the TBs. Use swith -d to decompress. Yo can test only 4-pc TBs with the switch -n4

After this is tested to make sure everything is fine, I will release the probing code under the MIT license (X11 license, to be more accurate).
For now, there is only a version for win32, but I will upload linux 32, 64, and Win 64 as soon as I get them.

Miguel
rivenburg
Sign-up code: 0

Re: Gaviota TBs, compressor available

Post by rivenburg »

For Miguel,

Just to let you and everyone know, I downloaded Gaviota compressor, and it worked beautifully,.....

Just a few bits of results information:
Total size after compression=15.19728 GB
Time=2707.5 sec.

John
redpawn

Post by redpawn »

Thanks Miguel:

I'll test & report

Best Regards,

Wassim
mballicora

Post by mballicora »

rivenburg wrote:For Miguel,

Just to let you and everyone know, I downloaded Gaviota compressor, and it worked beautifully,.....

Time=2707.5 sec.

John
Hi John,

There is a minor and easily fixed problem. The extension of the files are .gtb.cp2, correct?

The default is compressing to scheme=2 rather than 4. My stupid mistake. At the last minute, I change the order of the schemes, to make the default the higher number but I did not change a number internally. This is because I tested everything with the flags. If you want to have them compressed to the default scheme 4, type this instead

tbcp -s4 <folder>

Including -s4 will force to compress it to scheme 4. It will take longer (about 3 hours), but it will compress to 6.5 GiB.
If you deleted the original files, do not panic and type this to recover them:

tbcp -d -s2 <folder>

That will decompressed the files ("-d") you already have with the scheme 2 ("-s2") and once you have them decompress, you can type again

tbcp -s4 <folder>

If you are brave and have backups, you can include -r to remove the input files. Do not do that for now.
I am really sorry about the inconvenience. That is one of the reasons I hate minor last minute changes, not matter how simple they are.
I will release a fixed version soon, but everybody can go ahead and use it with the -s4 flag without problems.

Miguel
PS: You can try to see whether the TBs are working by going into the gaviota.ini.txt file and make sure it is
tb_decoding_scheme = 4
In fact, you can test that writing 2 rather than 4, because that is what you have at the moment. After editing that line, you can start gaviota in console mode and type
tbtest 5
To test if Gaviota can read all the 5-pc TBs.
mballicora

Post by mballicora »

mballicora wrote:

Time=2707.5 sec.

John
Hi John,

There is a minor and easily fixed problem. The extension of the files are .gtb.cp2, correct?

The default is compressing to scheme=2 rather than 4. My stupid mistake. At the last minute, I change the order of the schemes, to make the default the higher number but I did not change a number internally. This is because I tested everything with the flags. If you want to have them compressed to the default scheme 4, type this instead

tbcp -s4 <folder>

Including -s4 will force to compress it to scheme 4. It will take longer (about 3 hours), but it will compress to 6.5 GiB.

tbcp -d -s2 <folder>

That will decompressed the files ("-d") you already have with the scheme 2 ("-s2") and once you have them decompress, you can type again

tbcp -s4 <folder>

If you are brave and have backups, you can include -r to remove the input files. Do not do that for now.
I am really sorry about the inconvenience. That is one of the reasons I hate minor last minute changes, not matter how simple they are.
I will release a fixed version soon, but everybody can go ahead and use it with the -s4 flag without problems.

Miguel
PS: You can try to see whether the TBs are working by going into the gaviota.ini.txt file and make sure it is
tb_decoding_scheme = 4
In fact, you can test that writing 2 rather than 4, because that is what you have at the moment. After editing that line, you can start gaviota in console mode and type
tbtest 5
I uploaded a bug fix. Just download again the package.

Miguel
mballicora

Post by mballicora »

mballicora wrote:
mballicora wrote:

Time=2707.5 sec.

John
Hi John,

tbcp -s4 <folder>

tbcp -d -s2 <folder>

tbcp -s4 <folder>

Miguel
tb_decoding_scheme = 4
tbtest 5
I uploaded a bug fix. Just download again the package.

Miguel
Linux versions for 32 and 64 bits are already available in the web site.

I will wait for a little while, to make sure that everybody uses Gaviota with the compressed TBs. I want to make sure there is no problem or even get suggestions. At that point, I will release the probing code.

Miguel
PS: Windows 64 will be ready soon, Dann Corbit is helping me with that.
ernest
Sign-up code: 0

Post by ernest »

rivenburg wrote: Total size after compression=15.19728 GB
Wasn't it supposed to be under 8GB (for all 3-4-5-man)? :o
mballicora

Post by mballicora »

ernest wrote:
rivenburg wrote: Total size after compression=15.19728 GB
Wasn't it supposed to be under 8GB (for all 3-4-5-man)? :o
There are several options, if someone wants to optimize for memory or speed:
http://sites.google.com/site/gaviotachessengine/schemes

And unfortunately I messed up the default, but that was fixed already. Please see my previous post for a detailed explanation.

Miguel