Other endgame tablebase generators

Endgame analysis using tablebases, EGTB generation, exchange, sharing, discussions, etc..
Denis P. Mendoza
Sign-up code: 0

Other endgame tablebase generators

Post by Denis P. Mendoza »

I'm sure some have heard about these, but I got no response at CCC from this thread: http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26184
I came across these two utilities while studying chess engine in endgames and looking for other tablebases aside from Scorpio' bitbase:

Hoffman: It's an open-source tablebase generator for chess endgames by Brent Baccala. Hoffman calculates chess tablebases, which are large files containing all possible configurations of chess pieces in an endgame and the best play to either win or draw.
http://www.freesoft.org/software/hoffman/

and

Retrochess: allows to analyze and search for chess positions in endgame if the corresponding tablebase is constructed. Uses an external dll for probing. It has a 'Chessdll.dll' (w/ code) created for other chess projects that could use the constructed bases as stated. And it can generate 3-4-5-6-7 men!
http://generatorchess.qsh.ru/Default.aspx

Has anyone tried these yet? I can't access Kirill's forum at the moment so i posted it here.
This is the the right forum now. Maybe I could hear some views!

Denis
Codeman

Re: Other endgame tablebase generators

Post by Codeman »

Retrochess is already being discussed in another thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4190
redpawn

Post by redpawn »

Hi All:

Hoffman as I Remember was a command line program & I don't like that, I don't know if anything have changed lately, Retrochess on the other hand seems more promising I plan to test it this weekend, the seqence that I have on my mind involves generating certain related tablebases & do some tests & compare with Nalimov's.

Best Regards,
Codeman

Post by Codeman »

Comparing the stats is not easy, as they may use some different form of indexing. Furthermore Nalimov uses the DTM format and I don't know about Retrochess.
redpawn

Post by redpawn »

Hi Codeman:
Comparing the stats is not easy
Certainly I'm not going to compare a lot of positions just a little bit in order to know that Retrochess is reliable especially in 5 & 6 men since I have All the 5 men & all pawnless 6 men & 100 GB of the pawned ones.

The strange thing about retrochess is we don't know who's behind it & where to find more about it. but I'm trying it anyway.

Best Regards

Wassim
Denis P. Mendoza
Sign-up code: 0

Post by Denis P. Mendoza »

Codeman wrote:Retrochess is already being discussed in another thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4190
Thanks pal . Missed that thread!