Finally... I have joined the complete 6 men club!!

Endgame analysis using tablebases, EGTB generation, exchange, sharing, discussions, etc..
Daz

Finally... I have joined the complete 6 men club!!

Post by Daz »

Hi All

Just a quick post to thank all who have shared the 6 man bases over the last two years to enable me to finally complete my 6 man tablebase collection as of this morning. :D (obviously excluding 5 v 1)

I went through 2 ISP's as the first ended my contract due to "excessive dowmloads" which was around 100Gb a month at that time.

I have shared all in that time and will continue to do so.

I think to a point, the complete set does not seem usable on my current setup of AMD X2 4200+ 2Gb ram Fritz 11 GUI as the time to load the complete set takes ages. In fact on trying to play on playchess my engine will lose on time because it is still loading / indexing or whatever the tablebases.

I however take comfort in the fact I have them and when SSD drives are 1.5TB and cost £200 in the hopefully not to distant future I know i will be ready to transfer them.

Thanks again to one and all.

Regards

Darrell
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin
Sign-up code: 0

Re: Finally... I have joined the complete 6 men club!!

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Congratulations Darrell! :-)
PAKman
Sign-up code: 0

Post by PAKman »

Congratulations !!!

I also join the club last week.
PAKman No1 on eMule, shares all except 5-1 on Server PEERATES.NET 88.191.81.111 : 1111 .
PAKman No2 needs 275 files to have a complete set. This computer is not at my Charlotte location,
therefore must continue downloading. It also uses the PEERATES server.
I plan on sharing EGTB sets on PEERATES because it allows the sharing on the 2797 files. Other servers have a limit of 800-1000 files.
I also plan to share the files for at least a year, not withstanding unforeseen circumstances to repay the chess community.

I would like to thank everyone who made it possible,
Norm
Mark

Post by Mark »

I'm only about half way there and had to stop downloading and sharing a month ago because my ISP threatened to cut off service due to excessive downloads. Starting next month I have a 250GB monthly limit, so I plan on restarting my downloads/sharing.

To help me get a handle on how much bandwidth I'm using, I downloaded a freeware program to track usage. One thing I discovered, though, was that I have some mysterious uploads and downloads that show up even when I'm not on the computer. They are about 1.3GB down and .7 GB up a couple times a day. I ran my virus checker and ad-aware but the problem continues. Does anyone have an idea about what could cause this? I'd like to get back to sharing my EGTBs but have to solve this problem first. I have vista 64-bit.

Many thanks!

Mark