emule

Endgame analysis using tablebases, EGTB generation, exchange, sharing, discussions, etc..
Mark

emule

Post by Mark »

Hi all-

Recently started downloading the 6-man tablebases via emule. It seems to work great. Many thanks to those who arranged for this!

What type of download speeds should I be getting? (I didn't do anything special to try to get a high ID or pick specific ports, etc.) Anyway, it looks like I'm getting about 50 k/second average. Is that reasonable compared to what others are getting? It peaks at about 100 k/sec and sometimes goes down to 25 k/sec or so. Sometimes if I'm only getting 25 k/sec and shut off emule and restart it, the speed goes up. I have a good internet connection, but maybe my ISP is limiting the download speed for file sharing?

Regards,

Mark
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin
Sign-up code: 0

Re: emule

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Hi Mark! Welcome, and happy downloading!

Your download speed is usually limited by the speed at which others can upload. So there is little you can do to speed it up. 1. Get high ID. 2. Use up to date server list. 3. Use latest official eMule client. 4. Share as much as you can too. 5. Invite more people to join.

(I only upload, so I have no idea what download speed others are getting).

Mark wrote:Sometimes if I'm only getting 25 k/sec and shut off emule and restart it, the speed goes up.
This is not a good idea. Some clients will automatically ban you for restarting too often.
Vegan

Post by Vegan »

If you have enough disk space, please share all your downloaded tablebases so others with slower connections can also get more parts quicker.
ath

Post by ath »

>What type of download speeds should I be getting?

Probably not possible to say, except over a period of a week or two: it depends mainly on your download bandwidth, but also on what systems you're connected to. Peers who are 'in debt' to you (they have downloaded more from you than you've downloaded from them) will want to 'repay', and so you'll get better treatment from them over time. Until you have that kind of situation, or if you have decided not to share your downloads, you are at the bottom rung in terms of priority.

>Anyway, it looks like I'm getting about 50 k/second average.

Doesn't seem unreasonable for someone who have just started -- I have an download average of 126 kB/s (with a download bandwidth allocation of perhaps five as much), but then I've been at it for several months now.

>Sometimes if I'm only getting 25 k/sec and shut off emule and restart it, the speed goes up.

Don't do that. Typically, servers are busy serving someone else, and you either have to way in queue, or you've got an 'early' connection because the server has a connection that will soon complete. Those 'early' connections will be at whatever the server's upload bandwidth budget remains, but will go up to full speed once that other connection finishes. And of course ... in some cases the servers themselves are on slow connections, and there's nothing you can do.

Or rather ... if you try to fiddle too much, chances are some of the various counter-measures kick in, and you'll be banned (i.e. download 0 kB/s).

> I have a good internet connection, but maybe my ISP is limiting the download speed for file sharing?

Perhaps. But ensure that you have a high ID first. And don't get your expectations up too high. eMule is not FTP.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Kirill Kryukov wrote:Hi Mark! Welcome, and happy downloading!

Your download speed is usually limited by the speed at which others can upload. So there is little you can do to speed it up. 1. Get high ID. 2. Use up to date server list. 3. Use latest official eMule client. 4. Share as much as you can too. 5. Invite more people to join.

(I only upload, so I have no idea what download speed others are getting).

Mark wrote:Sometimes if I'm only getting 25 k/sec and shut off emule and restart it, the speed goes up.
This is not a good idea. Some clients will automatically ban you for restarting too often.
Thanks for the tip. I didn't realize that.

Also, I'll try to generate some interest in sharing tablebases over in the Rybka forum. The prevailing thought over there is that tablebases only increase the strength of a program by a couple elo, so they're hardly worth the trouble. (Of course they're invaluable for the analysis of late game positions...)
Daz

Post by Daz »

Hi

I avg around 46kb download and peak at around 150kb/s

I set the statistics graph to update every 60s and resize the graph to show me a 24 hour window of stats.

This is intresting because you see a pattern of at what times of the day you acheive the best download rates.

Slow rates could be also caused ISP's throttling back your connection at peak times or those who are sharing being offline at certain times. My downloads shoot up between midnight (GMT) till about 7 am (I get a constant 150kb/s).

Daz
Vegan

Post by Vegan »

I often see 200-300 KB/s downloading tablebases, but then again, I share every tablebase file I have so my upload queue is stuffed to the gills. So far I have seen it close to 400 KB/s downloading.

Please, share all those tablebases, in the long run it will make P2P more effective. The more that people share, the faster it will be.