eDonkey Servers

Endgame analysis using tablebases, EGTB generation, exchange, sharing, discussions, etc..
Pachnes
Sign-up code: 0

eDonkey Servers

Post by Pachnes »

Hi!

Our eMule does need much time to find sources, if we all are connected to different servers. There are many fake servers running. Fake servers tell your eMule, that they are eDonkey Servers, but they do - the best - nothing. So we should use all the same small and clean server.met file and connect to only few servers. To ensure this, make the following:

Go to "Options", "Server."
Check "Auto-Update server list at startup".
Klick on "List".
Your editor now does open the file "addresses.dat". The only text line in it may be:

http://www.gruk.org/server.met

(gruk.org does provide always a very update and save server.met).

If the file "addresses.dat" is empty, write this above text.

Save the file and close the editor.

In "Options", "Server":
Uncheck "Update server list when connecting to a server".
Uncheck "Update server list when connecting to a client".
Check "Use smart LowID check on connect".
Check "Save connect".
Check "Autoconnect to servers in static list only".

Now leave "Options" with "ok".

Now go again to "Options", than go to "Connection".

Check "Autoconnect on startup".
Check "Reconnect on loss".

Check "ed2k".

Check "KAD" if you want to connect to KAD (I recommend KAD).
If you have a "Low ID" than please uncheck KAD. KAD does only work with "High ID". If you do not know, whether you have a "Low ID" or a "High ID" than look it up in the window "Servers". You will find it on the right column.

If you have a Low ID, there maybe something is wrong with the configuration of your router or with the configuration of your firewall. Try to find a solution here ->

http://forum.emule-project.net/index.ph ... opic=88689

Now leave "Options" with "ok".

In the main window of your eMule click on "Servers", and set all servers, which have "Yes" in the attribut "Static" to "No". You make this by right klick on the server and choose "Remove from static list". When you are finished with all static servers, than mark all servers with your mouse. Right click on the marked lines and klick on "Remove all" and confirm the question with "yes".

Then stop straight away your eMule, wait a few seconds and start it again.

First your eMule will download the new server list from gruk.org. This is a small list of about 20 save and good servers.

But your eMule can not connect to a server, because we had checked "Autoconnect to servers in static list only", and we did remove all servers from the static list before.

Now we will make four strong servers to static servers:

Right click on the server of your choice.
Choose "Add to static list".
Right click again on this server.
Choose "Priority" and than choose "High".

("High" means, if this server is online, eMule will connect to it).

For fallback, we configure another three servers:

Right click on the second server of your choice.
Choose "Add to static list".
Right click again on this server.
Choose "Priority" and than choose "Normal".

Make this procedure a third and fourth time for your third and fourth and server.

You should use as static servers the big servers which have a short ping rate and have many users, and have many users, which have "low id". This does ensure that your eMules can find eachother very fast.

Close your eMule window now and restart eMule after a few seconds.

Now, we are all connected to only a few strong and save servers.
Regards,

Thomas
Pachnes

Re: eDonkey Servers

Post by Pachnes »

Hi!

What do you think about my suggestion? Please leave a comment here. THX!
Regards,

Thomas
Dhanish

Post by Dhanish »

Hi Thomas,

Thankyou for your suggestion though I don't know much about eMule to comment about it. Only problem may be if http://www.gruk.org/server.met is down?!

Anyway, I have implemented your suggestion and allow me to wait a few days before concluding on the improvement in speed.

Regards,
Dhanish
Pachnes

Post by Pachnes »

I use this link http://www.gruk.org/server.met to gruk.org for a few years now. It was always update and and it was online mostly every day. This serverlist is recommend by the forum http://forum.emule-project.net/ , which is the official forum of the eMule community.

If http://www.gruk.org/ should be down for one or a few days (i can not remember this!), this does not matter, because the server.met at your computer will not be deleted by this update, it will only be updated. So your eMule will run with the server.met, you had before.
Regards,

Thomas
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

I used to use this method for some while, but I was still getting spamming servers. If you mean that now only clean servers are contained in that list, I'll give it a try again.
gambit3

Post by gambit3 »

Check "KAD" if you want to connect to KAD (I recommend KAD).
If you have a "Low ID" than please uncheck KAD. KAD does only work with "High ID". If you do not know, whether you have a "Low ID" or a "High ID" than look it up in the window "Servers". You will find it on the right column.
this statement is false, pach, as you should know by now. i sit behind a hardware firewall and a router, the latter of which is not under my control, and so i always have a low id, and no option of changing that. i have not only successfully downloaded from other low id machines using KAD, i have also up- and down-loaded from high id machines. KAD is the means by which i have in the past obtained the majority of my tables, but it most certainly is NOT only useful to high id machines.
those who can, do
those who can't, teach
Pachnes

eDonkey Servers, "File Limit"

Post by Pachnes »

Be sure, to connect to a server, which will meet the number of files, you share. ed2k-Servers are configured with a file limit. ed2k-server "Saugstube", for example, can index only 800 files of every user. If you are connected to "saugstube" for example and If you share more files than those 800, only random 800 files of all your files will be published.
Regards,

Thomas
Dhanish

Post by Dhanish »

Hi Pachnes,

After making the above suggested changes, some times my eMule is getting disconnected and not getting connected again. I find this in the log:

27-Jun-08 3:08:13 PM: Fatal Error while trying to connect. Internet connection might be down
27-Jun-08 3:08:13 PM: Automatic connection to server will retry in 30 seconds
27-Jun-08 3:08:43 PM: No valid servers to connect in server list found

And then nothing happens.

Is this because "Autoconnect to servers in static list only" is checked?

The option "Reconnect on loss" is also checked.

Regards,
Dhanish
lsvll1

Post by lsvll1 »

Hey all:

For security / anti-spam / anti-fake servers I use block lists from http://www.bluetack.co.uk. You can download different types of IP filters there. The best for eMule are apparently either the PIP filter (i.e., Paranoid blacklist) or the NIP filter (Normal blacklist). Their downloads are at http://www.bluetack.co.uk/bims/filters/ (it’s hard to find from surfing the site on your own).

I generally use the Normal (NIP) filter. Under the eMule "Security" Option, I just put both of the following 2 urls in the “Update from url:” slot and then load one periodically (they’re updated once a week):
http://bluetack.co.uk/config/pipfilter.dat.gz and http://bluetack.co.uk/config/nipfilter.dat.gz

I don’t use the “Filter level: <127” option under “Security” because it’s too broad and knocks out tons of servers.

Also, along with Gruk, I use Peerates, which is a good safe-server site (also endorsed on the eMule website). On the Servers page of eMule just type in http://www.peerates.net/servers.php and http://www.gruk.org/server.php in the “Update server.met from URL” slot on the right. Periodically, I’ll erase my entire list of servers and then load the server lists anew from both of these urls.

I load both Gruk and Peerates because I like to have as many (presumably safe) servers as possible, since I have the feeling that eMule can thus more quickly find and use “Known Clients” (on Transfers page) – but that’s just a wishful-thinking hunch. I do believe that eMule locates many more files as the # of servers goes up. I personally don't "auto-update server list at startup." After messing around with many options, I don’t think limiting ourselves to a couple of static servers makes things faster, and I’ve read somewhere that using the static servers option is a headache.

I also make every “Known Client” who is downloading/uploading EGTBs a “friend” (right click a client and hit “add to friends”), because that does seem to help a quick location of EGTBers when starting eMule. (Also, obviously, the longer you’re on eMule, the more and more Clients eMule finds for you.)

To drag this post out even longer, I’ll mention that I have already had a few run-ins with my IP, Insight. A few times my download/upload rates swooped down to zero and there was nothing I could do about it except reload a new copy of eMule. I also made knew user names (thus the proceeding from lsvll1 to lsvll2 to lsvll3). Finally I got an e-mail and voice-message from Insight. I spoke with a guy in the “Abuse Dept.” (!) and he said if I limit my upload rate to 50 KB/s, then I’ll stop getting screwed by them (I used to have it around 170 KB/s – sorry guys). The thing that ticks me off is that I’d just paid $10/mo. more than my usual internet rate to jump from 10 MB/s to 20 MB/s (so that I could upload faster). But apparently sustained high broadband use is a violation of terms in that anything that interferes with another Insight customer’s use of the internet is grounds for possible termination.

Good luck,

Patrick

P.S.: I believe Saugstube has a file limit of 2,000, not 800.

P.P.S.: the NIP filter blocks out Level 1 and 2 below, while the PIP filter blocks out all 3 levels:

Level 1:
Companies or organizations who are clearly involved with trying to stop filesharing (e.g. Baytsp, MediaDefender, Mediasentry a.o.).
Companies which anti-p2p activity has been seen from.
Companies that produce or have a strong financial interest in copyrighted material (e.g. music, movie, software industries a.o.).
Government ranges or companies that have a strong financial interest in doing work for governments.
Legal industry ranges.
IPs or ranges of ISPs from which anti-p2p activity has been observed. Basically this list will block all kinds of internet connections that most people would rather not have during their internet travels

Level 2:
General corporate ranges.
Ranges used by labs or researchers.
Proxies.

Level 3:
Many portal-type websites.
ISP ranges that may be dodgy for some reason.
Ranges that belong to an individual, but which have not been determined to be used by a particular company.
Ranges for things that are unusual in some way.
lsvll1

Post by lsvll1 »

lsvll1 wrote:P.S.: I believe Saugstube has a file limit of 2,000, not 800.
2,000 was yesterday, but it's 1,000 today, so I guess it varies from time to time?
Vegan

Post by Vegan »

Last time I bothered to look, sausage was set for 1,000. The full set of 6 pieces is 2804 files. So be sure the server can handle that many shared parts.

I have manually set all servers to low, then one by one I tried them. Now I have a few that seem adequate.

Been working on the web site, built a new template based on some new style ideas, less table and frame, more div and css style. Sure bagged after the work developing a suitable way to put ads on the pages, but got it working now.

So back to chess tomorrow, and testing a few more eMule servers.