Can Crafty analyse tablebase positions?

Endgame analysis using tablebases, EGTB generation, exchange, sharing, discussions, etc..
Dhanish
Sign-up code: 0

Can Crafty analyse tablebase positions?

Post by Dhanish »

Is it possible to make Crafty analyse tablebase positions?

I tried both Winboard and Arena, and the log showed EGTBprobes=1 hits=1, but the best move was not displayed.

By the way, according to http://www.cis.uab.edu/hyatt/craftydoc.html:
"Note that there are special commands available (*only* on the command line, *not* in the crafty.rc/.craftyrc files) to direct Crafty to specific directories for the book files (bookpath=/a/b/c), the tablebase files (tbpath=/i/j/k) and the log files (logpath=/x/y/z). Note that these commands can *only* be used on the command line, because they must be executed before the engine is initialized. Putting them in the crafty.rc/.craftyrc file will produce error messages without affecting how the files are opened."

But actually, this does not work. In the latest versions, the tbpath command has to be given in the crafty.rc file. I spent a lot of time making the command line work :( , and finally just tried putting in crafty.rc!

Regards
Dhanish
ath

Re: Can Crafty analyse tablebase positions?

Post by ath »

You may want to ensure you are looking at the latest documentation.
The craftydoc page seems to date from 2003...
jkominek

Post by jkominek »

Crafty can make use of tablebases, including accessing them during search. Instead of using the command line, create (or edit) the crafty configuration file. It's called "crafty.rc" and goes in the same directory as the executable.

An example entry is:
tbpath=d:\tb\03;d:\tb\04;d:\tb\05;d:\tb\06

You can place your tablebases in multiple directories as the above line indicates, where each is separated by a semi-colon. You can't have multiple tbpath lines and have the entries append, unfortunately.

Does this answer your question?

john
Dhanish

Post by Dhanish »

jkominek wrote:
Does this answer your question?

john
Hi John,

Thankyou for your reply. As mentioned above, I had managed to find this out on my own with a lot of effort, because of the obsolete documentation. But the current question is in connection with the development of the EGTB Testsuite. After I paste a particular position, how do I make Crafty show the move it selected from the tablebase?

Regards,
Dhanish
Dhanish

Post by Dhanish »

Update: I had posted the above problem at the Winboard Forum and received a reply - Use the egtb command!

Regards,
Dhanish