EGTB Online: Looking for a new maintainer

Endgame analysis using tablebases, EGTB generation, exchange, sharing, discussions, etc..
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin
Sign-up code: 0

EGTB Online: Looking for a new maintainer

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Hi everyone! The EGTB Online project have been very successful. We now established online availability of the complete 6-men EGTB collection in Nalimov format (except 5 vs 1). Also a great community is participating in discussions on this forum. Due to recent changes in my life I don't have much time for chess anymore, so I am looking for someone to take over.

As a new maitainer you will have to:
1. Host the "Endgame Tablebases Online" web-site. Update it with any relevant news, links or information.
2. Host this EGTB Forum on your server. (It runs on a phpBB 3.0.0 engine).
3. Make sure Nalimov tablebases stay online. Also make sure any new promising EGTB formats get shared online as well. (You don't have to stick to eMule, use any networks that work well).
4. Initiate discussion, push everyone to develop useful generator and 7-men tables, etc.. :-)

I am particularly looking for someone who already did practical contribution related to EGTB.

Please PM me, or email to kkryukov at gmail dot com if you are interested.
jkominek

Re: EGTB Online: Looking for a new maintainer

Post by jkominek »

I'm sad to hear this Kirill. You have been a steady hand on the till. I hope that a smooth handover can be effected and that when personal circumstances allow, you visit us again.

With the recent burst in activity involving your test suite, an early departure comes as a surprise. All the same, thank you for everything that you've done. You'll be missed.

john
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Thanks John! Yes I'll try to visit when I can. During the last year I could not devote much time to this project, and I feel it is holding it back. So I hope someone with more time or energy can join and give new life to it. :-)

(I will of course help the new maintainer with any technical questions, transfering or configuring the forum, etc.)
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

Kirill I sent you an email last night did you get it? Hope I put the right address.
PAKman

Post by PAKman »

Hi Kirill,

Please do not leave. Your part time effort has been more than enough for me and I visit the site at least twice a day.
I know we all have developed other interest but hang on to this one as time permits. The thought of losing you is unthinkable.
I know that nothing last forever, but maybe someone would be willing to help you with the administration.

I currently manage the FTPsite and my new website enginechess.com but I am retired and have plenty of time to help you.
Just let me know.

Don't Leave Us !
Norm
normpruitt@charter.net
guyhaw
Sign-up code: 10159

Post by guyhaw »

Kirill,
I second all the votes of thanks. The EGT_Online initiative was a visionary one, and worked out better than we had a right to expect. Your energy and enthusiasm was infectious and I hope you will not lose touch with this board.
For me, the level of energy you are putting in at the moment is fine. The Endgame Testsuite is an interesting idea so, as jk says, your announcement comes as a bit of a surprise.
Whoever helps you or takes over from you will have to be committed, capable, organised and reasonably time-rich.
All the best for the other dimensions of your life. g
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Everyone, thanks for kind words! I'll write reply later. Josh, yes, I got your mail, thanks!
Ray
Sign-up code: 10159

Post by Ray »

Kirill Kryukov wrote:
As a new maitainer you will have to:
2. Host this EGTB Forum on your server. (It runs on a phpBB 3.0.0 engine).
I guess this aspect at least could be handled by a free forum provider such as

http://invisionfree.com/

As an example, see the Gothic Chess forum in action

http://z13.invisionfree.com/Gothic_Ches ... hp?act=idx

But of course, we would lose all the history so actually it's a bad idea.... :shock:
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

Let me know if I can be of assistance :) I'm more than willing to migrate CCRL and all of the forums over to olympuschess.com or perhaps if need be a new domain if others would prefer. I have all of the tools necessary to run a phpBB already (mysql/php/etc).

Let me know :) We'll all miss you. Hope the family is doing well, and congrats again.
-Josh

P.S. Seems someone already registered chessendgame.com but chessendgame.org seems open.
If there is interest I could register the .org but would save me a little $$ to keep it on an already existing domain. Though I'm willing to
help however I can.
Kirill Kryukov wrote:Everyone, thanks for kind words! I'll write reply later. Josh, yes, I got your mail, thanks!
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Sorry for delayed reply. So far no one volunteered to take over the project (including all aspects, not only hosting which is the easy part). So I'll try to keep it up here, just the updates will be less frequent than before. I will try to move everything to dedicated server where it will hopefully require less attention. Thanks everyone, your words really made me feel warmer.