how to avoid double downloads with eMule

Endgame analysis using tablebases, EGTB generation, exchange, sharing, discussions, etc..
vroger007
Sign-up code: 0

how to avoid double downloads with eMule

Post by vroger007 »

Hi all,

after a serious virus infection (my first in over 15 online years) I re-installed eMule from scratch on a new PC. Then reconnected my 500Gig external USB drive, and told eMule where to find the shared files (3-4-5 complete, and 407 files (223 Gig) of 6-Men).

I seem to have two problems:

1) some of my files are missing when I look into the eMule Shared Files window. For example my 3-Men directory has 10 files but eMule only shows 9, even after pressing "Reload". (the KNK.NBB file is missing). There may be several others (in total today I have 10+60+220+407 files when looking with windows explorer, but of those 697 files on disk, eMule only shows 692 files as being shared... how come?

2) worse: when I open the "All" 33 or 41 pawnless link on http://kd.lab.nig.ac.jp/chess/tablebases-online/ and click 'Download' to paste them into eMule, I can see one message "You already have xxxyyy.emd" (there are hopefully more messages like that, but there is no scrollable messages window in eMule with this info). But when I start downloading, I can see it downloads files that I already have!
Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? Should I paste each link one by one???

Any help is greatly appreciated!
thanks,
Roger
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Hi Roger. Pasting multiple links into eMule certainly works, at least in recent versions. I think the best way for you may be to check all the files you have against MD5 signatures and save somewhere separately all integer files. Then delete and re-download all corrupted files if any. Also "Wilhelm" software can check which files are correct, just MD5 is more convenient for me. As you know, all MD5 signatures are available from the same "EGTB Online" project page.
vroger007

Post by vroger007 »

Hi Kirill. All my 3-4-5 are fully ok, and I'm also pretty sure about the 6-men that I already have (although they're not all checked yet). It's just weird that eMule doesn't show all of them in the shared folders. I think the pasting is ok in the meanwhile, after having stopped and restarted eMule for a third time. Will let you know if I see another problem.
Would also like to find a way of copy/pasting from the Wilhelm EGTB Manager window into a textfile, such that I can sort the files that I'm still missing...
BR
Roger
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

vroger007 wrote:Hi Kirill. All my 3-4-5 are fully ok, and I'm also pretty sure about the 6-men that I already have (although they're not all checked yet). It's just weird that eMule doesn't show all of them in the shared folders. I think the pasting is ok in the meanwhile, after having stopped and restarted eMule for a third time. Will let you know if I see another problem.
Would also like to find a way of copy/pasting from the Wilhelm EGTB Manager window into a textfile, such that I can sort the files that I'm still missing...
BR
Roger
You can try deleting eMule files index and let it re-hash everything. Though I guess you already did that. Also what eMule are you using? I use Xtreme 6.0 at the moment. About copy/pasting from Wilhelm EGTB Manager... well, make screnshot and OCR.. :-) I don't have better ideas.. That's why I use MD5 signatures to check my files - it produces normal output which you can redirect, filter, grep, etc..
vroger007

Post by vroger007 »

Hi Kirill, my eMule is v0.47c. Haven't tried deleting files index yet... afraid it will also lose knowledge of files I am downloading, or not?

Hmm, OCR will make maybe only 1 mistake and then I will be unhappy :-)
so I guess I will re-install MD5 ...
thanks!
Roger
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

vroger007 wrote:Hi Kirill, my eMule is v0.47c. Haven't tried deleting files index yet... afraid it will also lose knowledge of files I am downloading, or not?
I don't know actually.. May be our eMule expert Thomas can tell.