Is it normal to have long startup times with 6 man bases?

Endgame analysis using tablebases, EGTB generation, exchange, sharing, discussions, etc..
Darrell
Sign-up code: 0

Is it normal to have long startup times with 6 man bases?

Post by Darrell »

Hi

I have noticed the more 6 man tablebases I have the longer it is taking Fritz to startup.

I have just upgraded to Fritz 10 GUI, and when I launch Fritz 10 from the desktop shortcut I have to wait 5+ minutes before the chessboard appears on the screen!

I just have the message "Loading Fritz 10". I have constant harddrive activity and the pagefile rises from 150Mb to over 1.3Gb.

If I delete the paths to the 6 men files (Around 450Gb's worth) the start up time is almost instant.

Is this normal and will it get even longer as I try to complete my 6 man collection?

Thanks

Darrell
blackbubble

Post by blackbubble »

Hi Darrell

It seems to be normal. I remarked the same delay of loading an engine.
First i wanted to access the tablebases from another computer over network to play with, but then it takes about 15 minutes to start the engine.
Now i play on the server itself. The problem was i have only 384 MB of Rams on the server and for that sometimes the chessbase programm crashed while acces on the tablebases. For that i increased the virtual memory to 4 GB ( minimum and maximum).

Now i can play whitout crash during analysis. The engine takes 2 or 3 minutes to start but then it works. I have the complete 6 pieces installed

Greetings

Black Bubble

P.S. A great thank to Derek that i could download many files from his server.
JT-CHESS

Re: Is it normal to have long startup times with 6 man bases?

Post by JT-CHESS »

Has anyone noticed if increasing the RAM on the computer helps with the startup lag? I am considering going from 2gb to 4 gb to see if the performance is better...
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

No, I did not notice decrease of startup lag from RAM increase, though more RAM of course helps in many other ways.
JT-CHESS

Post by JT-CHESS »

Thanks for the reply. Can I ask, whw much ram did you increase to, and what are the specs on your system?
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

JT-CHESS wrote:Thanks for the reply. Can I ask, whw much ram did you increase to, and what are the specs on your system?
RAM is 8 GB at the monent, dual Opteron 270, so 4 cores in total. This machine is built 1.5 years ago, already aging. (I use other machines too but this is the only one with complete 6-men EGTB).
JT-CHESS

Post by JT-CHESS »

So you now have 8 GB, how much did you have before you upgraded? I guess I'm wondering what you can do to the computer to make the load/response time faster?
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

JT-CHESS wrote:So you now have 8 GB, how much did you have before you upgraded?
4, and before that 2, and then 1, etc.. :-)
JT-CHESS wrote:I guess I'm wondering what you can do to the computer to make the load/response time faster?
Get a fast RAID array. I use RAID-5 built on 5 disks with a good controller, it helps more than anything else.