PAKserver

Endgame analysis using tablebases, EGTB generation, exchange, sharing, discussions, etc..
PAKman
Sign-up code: 0

PAKserver

Post by PAKman »

Hi Everyone,

All future posting about the PAKserver will be a continuation of this post.

The Human Games Section is complete. I would welcome anyone's game database to add to the section.

The Machine Games Section is also complete. My hobby is machine chess so this section will grow as additional games are played in the engine room of playchess.com.

I am working on a new Opening Book to replace PAKbook 31, stay tuned.

The EGTB 42 is almost complete as is the 33p, thanks to jkominek and clocks. I can't thanks these guys enough and the guy who helped get it all started Pachnes. The site's popularly makes it all worth while, although the EGTB are being completed faster than i can afford the added hard drive. When we obtain the 750 GB G:Drive for the 42 with pawns the server will be hardware complete. Then the start of completing a backup machine, to much data to only have one copy.

If there is something to do with chess that you would like on the site, please ask. There will be the remaining space on the 750GB drive whenever it is installed. 42p will use 512GB. The remaining space after formatting is available for discussion. Let me hear some suggestions.

Thanks for Everything
Norm
ftp://chess:chess@71.68.97.166
PAKman

Post by PAKman »

Hi All,

The server is down because the ISP has blocked port:21.
Will work on the problem tomorrow and get back to everyone.

Any Suggestions?
Norm
clocks

Post by clocks »

I believe you're using filezilla server, you can easily go into settings and change to another port besides 21.

If you meant suggestions as far as what to fill your server with - I don't have much of any idea. What chess materials are available otherwise that you don't have? I can't think of too much (at least that would be legal to have on your site).
PAKman

Post by PAKman »

Hi Everyone.

A little numbers changing and the PAKserver is UP and waiting for traffic.

Anyone with a set of 42 EGTs please allow me to download the remaining 20GB i need to complete the set.

I am working on my eMule which when running knocks me of the internet 6 or 8 times daily. I think the problem is when the ISP said i would have 512kb/s upload it was those little words (up to 512) is my problem. I will figure the upload and download sharing again and made the adjustments.

Norm
clocks

Post by clocks »

I started the last 32 files I need for the 42 set on eMule. You are welcome as always to grab them from me as I finish them up. 26GB of these files left to download including what I have partially complete on eMule.

Otherwise, my 33/33P sets are complete and verified. The 42P sets I have 3GB left to get, although I need to verify 291GB of these files at that point. I think only a couple will be corrupt if any, and I will just redownload any of them I need from eMule if thats the case.

I believe 4-5 days until my entire sets will be complete. :)

Soon I'll have fiber run to my new home in cali though, so I want to shift from the server to my home. I can actually get 5 lines at 30000/5000 each (150000/25000 speed total) for the same price. I think I will likely get 2-3 of these lines though, cheaper and can still upload at the same rate to everyone.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Hi

I have 33 and 42 complete and verified.

I have 28% of 33p and 21 % of 42p so still have a long way to go :(

Sharing all on emule.

Regards

Darrell (emule: kovo)
PAKman

Post by PAKman »

Hi Derek/clocks

I should have 33p finished in the next 24 hours. Will verify and post on the server. I had so many incomplete sets they could not be posted.
Its took a couple weeks to correct the problem because of constance disconnections. Partial sets everywhere, but the light is at the end of the tunnel on 33p.

As of yesterday morning i was caught up with you on the 42. I hope to solve my eMule problem and will also it source for 42.

You progress has be funnominal with the EGTB project. Everyone has a reason to want the EGTB, what is yours?

Running fiber to you new house sounds exciting, can't wait to see those numbers in action.

Good luck on you move and prosper.
Thanks
Norm
PAKman

Post by PAKman »

Hi Darrell,

I will be on eMule this week i hope. Will change ports and other setting to try and cure my disconnect problems when it is running.

I really appreciate you offer and will take you up on it later in the week.

I have about 20GB to go on the 42 sets, and so many on the 42p i won't bother to calculate.

A friend Brian posted a neat utility/batch file in the tools section to move EGTB files from the upload files to the download files. After they are checked with Wilhelm or MD5 of course.

Thanks again for the offer.
Norm
clocks

Post by clocks »

I've always had a preoccupation with the computer chess. Not to mention internet connections (fast ones), and seeing a mate in 87 in one of my games back 6-7 years ago was pretty slick.

In short, I'm impressed with the project here, and I thought it worthwhile to get a few more sets thrown around. I've uploaded 4 sets worth of data myself at this point. Whenever using networks such as bittorrent, I have a rule of thumb to give back 10 times over. This project is a little more extreme, requiring me to upload over 11TB of data to meet that goal - rather than a movie that is 7GB.

I wish to pump out 6 more sets worth of data before I pull back. At that point, I wish to still share the complete set, but maybe a minimum of 100KB/sec, and if I'm not uploading something otherwise, to around 500KB/sec. Just one fiber line run to the house will be perfect for me.

I just think right now is a great time for the data to be better shared - when it is still rather hard to get. Getting 11TB+ pumped into the community will go quite a ways I believe.

I talked to verizon about the lines to my home, they actually don't make me run another line to the house physically. They said that the ports for upload are only able to handle 10MBPS, I am not sure if it is a the truth or simply what the tech told me. It doesn't make much sense to me, as its not as though there is two lines one for upload - one for download, and the download being so much higher it makes even less sense to me. They offered me 60000/10000 service for twice the price. I am getting a hefty discount for the first 12 months, so after that I will likely downgrade to the 30000/5000 service. But maybe at that point, they will have a better package for less.

My plans after I get the tablebases to my home, is at least 2 or 3 backups of the data. I wish to build an opteron system over the next couple months, I am thinking an 8-way system would be very awesome to run chess on. I like coming out ahead in my games - I particularly enjoy quick games though. :)

I guess in short, just trying to follow my rule of thumb and give back 10 times over - the tablebases being so huge just requires me to take a little different approach to it all :)
PAKman

Post by PAKman »

Hi Everyone,

The few chess links we have on the server are now hyperlinks,
Click and Go.

Brian, a friend is teaching me html. I am using a free program called
1st Page 2000. This is a prime for doing a web page in the future.
I am still learning and have fun.

33p are posted and available for download except 4 sets which are defective.
Will work on the 4 defective sets and have them available later this week.

Currently making 40KB/s available for downloading and allowing 8 connections, 2 connections per IP. 5KB/s is not much per connection but its all i can spare. Must be OK because the server is normally maxed which makes it hard for new connections. So if you make it enjoy.

Currently working on 42, and looking to bring them from another computer on the network. I'm out of space on the server and out of funds for a new G:Drive, have over $250.00 saved so far, fixed income doesn't help. Making matters worse i need backup bad, no rest for the pocketbook.

Thanks
Norm
PAKman

Post by PAKman »

Hi Everyone,

42 is verified and posted on the PAKserver and made available on eMule for download. Was a while coming and a file management experience.
Many thanks to clocks for the help and i know he feels good about having all available tablebases. 51 is next for us Fritz users.

Will start to cleanup the 33p database today and will make it available soon.

Working on and testing PAKbook 32 which will be available in the near future. And interesting thing about book 32 is that all games ending in 30, 31, and 32 moves have been analyzed by Rybka to a depth of 16 ply.

I am struggling for additional hard drive space to make room for 42p.
Thanks to jkominek for the great effort he has put forward in using all the available space i can find.

I miss talking to Pachnes, i'm sure he is very busy with work. If you read this Hello.

Having Big Fun
Norm
ftp://chess:chess@71.68.97.199
jkominek

Post by jkominek »

Uh oh Norm. Have I filled up all your disk space? I'm looking at kqnbkp for instance (a recent set being worked on) and am seeing that it is all partial files. Maybe I need to hold off for a while to give a chance to sort it all out.

john
PAKman

Post by PAKman »

Hi John,

I have 38GB left on G:Drive, about two to three days worth at the rate you are sending the files. I will work on moving files that are complete to another computer tomorrow. I will be in Florida from the 22nd through the 26th. I will try and leave you 5 days of space. What do you estimate your daily rate to be?

I will buy the 500GB drive for another computer before purchasing the 750GB for the server. I don't have backup for the 33p which worries me tremendiously. To much effort from a lot of people to loose.

The cable company ran a new line underground across my yard and i am not getting dropped many times daily. I even have eMule running.

I have 18 defective 33p files which are being corrected now from clocks. Then will post a complete set on the server. What i have that is verified of 33p is posted.

Thanks for Everything,
Norm
PAKman

Post by PAKman »

Hi Everyone,

33p is completed, verified, and posted.

Thanks to jkominek and clocks, 24/7 downloading from you guys made short order of the 33p set.

Now lookout 42p here we come. :) Have 832 non verified, incomplete 42p.

I presently provide 8 connections at 4kn/s. The pattern is normally full. If i raise the connections allowed this would slow the kn/s.
Any Comments Please.

Thanks Norm,
PAKman

Post by PAKman »

Hi Everyone,

The PAKserver will be off line Thursday through Sunday. The 5th PAL/CSS Freestyle Chess Tournament is this weekend and I and entered. Big prize money with cheap entry fee. I am currently 30th in the world on the freestyle list. I had a very bad tournament last year for many reasons. I have reduced the chess team from 4 people to 2 persons. This will cut down on the opinions , and useless conversations. We forfeited one game because a decision was made to reboot with less than a minute before the round and the round started without us. We lost a round because of a bad book line which is totally my fault because the book was my responsible. Last we gave up a draw to the Hydra Machine because every time he offered the draw it locked our machine (mystery no other machine problems), with all the rebooting we lost on time, therefore 30th in the world. Now our machine is out of date because of the new Intel processors, the old AMD FX-60 must carry the load. Have a AMD Opteron 170 dual core for secondary analysis.

Have a 500GB hard drive on order for the FX-60 machine so that 33p EGTBs can be loaded for the tournament. This will also server as a backup for the the 33p files that are on the server. Relief! Counted my change for this upgrade, had $223.00 and purchased a Seagate network 24/7 drive for $199.99 plus freight. Worked out just fine but now really broke. :D

The problems have been solve with eMule which is now running 24/7, only giving 16KB/s but its steady. The new underground cable and changing ports in eMule and the router did the job. eMule runs on the server so it will also be down for the weekend.

Well thats my sad story, Thanks to all who participate on the fine website.

Wish me luck.
Norm
Pachnes

Post by Pachnes »

Hi Norm,

good luck in the Tournament. Which engine will you use?
Regards,

Thomas
PAKman

Post by PAKman »

Hi Thomas,

I have Deep Fritz 10, but will use Rybka 2.3 for the tournament.

My book needs lots of work before the first round. I use a very small high rated book for tournaments, but since i have been inactive on the computer chess playing scene recently the book is out of date.

I hope the hard drive i need arrives today or tomorrow because first round is Friday at 11:00AM EST or 17:00 CET. I need time to install and transfer files.

It is debatable whether EGTBs should be used. I did not use them in my last tournament because i did not have any 6-Man EGTBs available. I will experiment on playchess.com before the tournament if time allows.

Nice to hear for you.
Norm
PAKman

Post by PAKman »

Hi Everyone,

PAKbook32 (P32 04-07.rar) is posted on the server.

Due to so many who are unable to connected to the server. I have changed from 8 connections, 2 per IP address, to 8 connections and 1 per IP. The kn/s has been raised from 4 kn/s to 5 kn/s per connection. Sorry.

I have ordered a 750GB Hard Drive and will make 42p available in the near future. Have those files spread over 3 computers and will need to cleanup defectives and incomplete files. The complete set of 42p 512GB 1234 files exist but need work.

Thanks to jkominek, clocks, and pachnes for all the help.

Thanks to everyone who uses the server.
Norm
PAKman

Post by PAKman »

Hi Everyone,

Sorry the server was down yesterday. Lost power due to extremely high winds for over 11 hours and it did not return until 1030PM EST. The outage outlasted my battery backup. :(

The 750GB hard drive has arrived and will be install this week. The server will be back online after the installation. The 42p will take longer to cleanup corruption and make available. We will offer partial 42p file as as purified.

We will return soon.
Norm
opawnow

Post by opawnow »

Hi PAKman,

when we can expect the 42p files ?
I need only this files, about 500-what a long way to go :cry:

regards opawnow
PAKman

Post by PAKman »

Hi,

I have posted 83 of the 42p files today. These files were checked with Wilhelm and should be ok.

Summer is here and many task to perform, sorry will try and post more in the near future.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, but have not been available.

Thanks for the interest.
Norm
PAKman

Post by PAKman »

Hi Everyone

Have posted 29000+ Human Games today from 2007.

Sorry for the resent inactivity, but have been busy.

Will do more updating to the server when time permits.

Have many new Human Games from 2006 to process.

Thanks Norm
PAKman

Post by PAKman »

Hi Everyone,

The PAKserver was down for a number of days due to a power outage.
I was on a two week vacation and my daughter in law called to say the power was out due to a sever storm. The server uses Windows 2000 and will only reboot to the login screen when power is restored, so i was out of business. I'm back from vacation and the server is available.

Sorry for the inconvenience
Norm
opawnow

Post by opawnow »

Hi PAKman,

it looks your Server is still down. :(
Now I need about 250 files from 42p

Hope to see soon more from your tables, so I can finish fast my tables. :D

Regards opawnow
PAKman

Post by PAKman »

Sorry Everyone,

Went on vacation and left the PAKserver running for the convenience of the regular downloaders. A big storm came and the was the end of that server.
Funds not available in the near future to being it back online.
If and when i do rebuild the machine i will post it here.
I still have not completed 42p myself, how sad.

Good Luck all
Emule forever

Norm