found missing 33p tbs (tablebase stats) files

Endgame analysis using tablebases, EGTB generation, exchange, sharing, discussions, etc..
guyhaw
Sign-up code: 10159

Statistics files re Nalimov's EGTs

Post by guyhaw »

At the risk of being accused of going to the well of 'data correctness' too often, I'll add some further comments.
Lest anyone gets confused on visiting this thread later on, all references to "Guy's tbs [statistics files]" should be to 'Guy's copy of Nalimov's tbs files'. Others may be recomputing the stats of Nalimov's EGTs but I am not.
I agree that the Nalimov format of tbs files is not ideal, and for two reasons. Counts are not right-aligned, and items with a zero-count (e.g. mates at some depth and even broken positions) are omitted when a line with a '0' would have made subsequent analysis easier to do.
The rigour which Eugene applied to EGT generation and verification may not have applied to his production of stats files: his apparent lack of interest in expunging the erronous KBPKN statistics (a 'one off') rather indicates that.
I realised somewhat tardily that I could check the tbs figures against the index-ranges in the TBGEN code. It was then that the 'missing 2^32' phenomenon came to light - only in 6-man P-ful endgames I think.
I have never changed even my copy of Nalimov's original tbs files, but only my transfer of them to xls's. It is clear that Nalimov's code eventually produced numbers > 2^32 correctly, see, e.g., KBBPKB btm draws. So, there may be some tbs files around with missing multiples of 2^32 - a few in 4-2p and more in 3-3p: it would be worth getting a definitive list of where the errors are, and any contributions to this list are welcome.
Recall suggests that my %s (of wins, draws and losses) in the xls on the ICGA website are after corrections to Nalimov's stats.
g
jkominek
Sign-up code: 0

Re: found missing 33p tbs (tablebase stats) files

Post by jkominek »

Hi Kirill,
Added to the web-page now, so now we have all 65 33p tbs files online. Thanks Jaroslav, John and Guy! :-)
While reading through this old thread I realized something that slipped through. While you did post all of the 33p stats to the EGTB Online page separately, the zipfile all-33p-tbs.zip did not get updated. It only has 37 files inside. It wouldn't be too much trouble to package them all and update the link would it? Jaroslov's attachment could be used too.

john
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

jkominek wrote:Hi Kirill,
Added to the web-page now, so now we have all 65 33p tbs files online. Thanks Jaroslav, John and Guy! :-)
While reading through this old thread I realized something that slipped through. While you did post all of the 33p stats to the EGTB Online page separately, the zipfile all-33p-tbs.zip did not get updated. It only has 37 files inside. It wouldn't be too much trouble to package them all and update the link would it? Jaroslov's attachment could be used too.

john
I only have those 37 files. If other files are posted, could you please tell me where? Thanks!
jkominek

Post by jkominek »

kirill wrote: I only have those 37 files. If other files are posted, could you please tell me where? Thanks!
The post above in this thread by Jaroslav on Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:00 am has an attachment with all 70 33p tbs files. From the discussion I'm led to believe that they are correct (no 32 bit rollovers, etc.).

john
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Thanks, added. I downloaded Jaroslav's archive and found that still 2 files are missing. Then I recalled that I already had complete tbs set before, so I searched and could find them. :-) Added to the web-site now. (Somehow missed them when moving the web-site to the new server last summer).
jkominek

Post by jkominek »

Excellent. Nice to see the update.

BTW, when I said 70 files that was a mistake. There are 65 for 33p.

john
guyhaw
Sign-up code: 10159

2^32 issues ...

Post by guyhaw »

I thought that I had checked all Nalimov's .tbs files for missing multiples of 2^32. I certainly made him aware of the issue and thought he'd corrected his code for the last 6-man P-ful EGTs.

Does someone think that some of my .tbs files are wrong - or are you referring to some other 'Guy'.

Guy
jkominek

Re: 2^32 issues ...

Post by jkominek »

guyhaw wrote:Does someone think that some of my .tbs files are wrong - or are you referring to some other 'Guy'.

Guy
I don't believe the veracity of your files was being called into question. Just the completeness of the .tbs zip files on EGTB Online needed attending to.

john

P.S. Your inbox should have a message from me.