PAKman Server is up.

Endgame analysis using tablebases, EGTB generation, exchange, sharing, discussions, etc..
PAKman
Sign-up code: 0

PAKman Server is up.

Post by PAKman »

Hi Everyone,

The PAKserver has a new 500GB F: Drive and is up and running. :D

Took much longer than i thought. When ahead and removed a copy of Linux and made it a single boot machine. Picked up about 30GB on the C:Drive, every little bit helps. Also ran defrag on a couple of the drives.

Well should be up until my ISP shuts me down ( they do it daily) or the this breaks down. :(

Thanks to everyone who uses the server.
Norm
ftp://chess:chess@71.68.97.166
clocks

Post by clocks »

Pretty lame @ the ISP shutting you down daily - especially if its in the middle of you sleeping or doing other things than working on the computer.

There has to be some automated way of restarting the FTP server when it goes down. I just don't know how, maybe someone else here would have an idea about it.
jkominek

Post by jkominek »

Though I don't have hard data to back me up, I'm under the impression that DSL (what I have) is more reliable than a cable modem (what PAKman has). Plus, if an when my ISP does break a connection, my router automatically reconnects. I don't know if routers can similarily recover for a flakey cable modem line.

Anyone have experience or concrete information?

john
clocks

Post by clocks »

I'm thinking it does automatically reconnect, because I will see PAKman on eMule, but the FTP site does will not be up. In other words its the FTP software that is causing the problem by not restarting.

But don't let me tell you with certainty :)

My cable modem if it does lose connection here at home will automatically reconnect, as will my router, and as will my computer to the router.
PAKman

Post by PAKman »

Thanks Guys,

All comments are helpful and i will do some reading and experimentation this weekend. The problem is getting on my nerves. The system went down five times yesterday. The cable company is going to run new wire from the street next week, maybe some improvement.

I really like to read the comments on this site. Its a learning process. Like the post on compression which i know nothing about. You can uncompress the 3-5 man tablebases to 31GB from the compressed 7.05GB. I did this in 2003 to see if the access time improved in engine chess in the playchess.com machine room. I felt the uncompressed had quicker access in 3 minute games but have no data to confirm these conclusions.

The service went down while typing this post, for the first time i reset the modem only and did not reset the router and the system came back on line. Just part of tracing down the problem.

Thanks to everyone for the help.
Norm
ftp://chess:chess@71.68.97.166
clocks

Post by clocks »

I had a lot of problems like that at my last place - it was mostly due to the signal strength being so junky most of the time.

I got cut off one time, and 6AM an investigator at my home asking me about my cable modem being stolen.

Long story short, I bought a cable modem in 2004. I had it registered to my account, in my name. I moved to a new place, and my girlfriend at the time set up the cable services in her name while I was working with some other things that day. She registered the cable modem to her account, although it was the one I had purchased previously. The investigator took my cable modem because she had papers that showed it was hers (from the cable company - being registered to her). Took me 4 days to get my cable modem back after calling the police, and explaining that I had the original receipt for it. She even tried to sidestep giving it back, showing a different cable modem, but getting caught up in her lies when she showed her mom's cable modem that didn't even match the numbers she had given to the police a few days before that.

Nothing got filed, but the reason I went through all the hassle of getting it back was that the investigator was a friend of her step-dad and wanted to pursue charges for my 'theft'.

Thought I'd share my nerd-drama with everyone :) LOL