Speed issue

Endgame analysis using tablebases, EGTB generation, exchange, sharing, discussions, etc..
Alkelele
Sign-up code: 0

Speed issue

Post by Alkelele »

Hi, i'm wondering why I'm not downloading and uploading faster. I know I have around 2000 kbit/s download and 128 kbit/s upload capacity on my internet connection.

But in Emule, I usually can't do any better than 70 down and 10 up at the same time. I have been at 150 down, but only when there was no up.

I have fiddled with the upload and download capacity setting in Emule, and it is like this: I cap upload at 10, if I go higher my download will slow down dramatically from those 70. Then I cap download at 500 or 1000, doesn't really matter, it always end up at 70 effectively anyway.

Can I not count on doing any better than this?

Some more info:

I usually have 8-15 sources for download, and 4 clients uploading.

My ID is high, and Kad is open.

Any suggestions?

Kind regards, and, thanks for this wonderful project! Have started from scratch, 3+4 and now doing 5 and 6 piece :-)
Ray
Sign-up code: 10159

Post by Ray »

Someone more technical will be along to explain better - but I think you must leave some room for TCP/IP overhead on your upload rate. 10 is very close to your 12 approx line speed limit, so anything much higher than 10 starts to get you into trouble
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Hi Alkelele,

First of all, you know that eMule measures upload and download speed in KBytes/sec, not Kbits, right? Your 128 Kbit/sec upload bandwidth is 16 KBytes/sec, so your upload of 10 KB/sec is already close to expected.

There is some overhead as Ray said, confirmation packets and such, so to download anything you also have to send some packets back to keep connection on, and those packets also count as traffic. I guess this is the reason that you can't combine high download speed with high upload speed.

Anyway, 70 KB/sec that you download is still much more than 10 KB/sec that you upload, so I guess you should be happy? :-)

For reference: my "unlimited" home internet connection has upload limit of about 100 KBytes/sec. If I set eMule to that 100 KB/s, other things become too slow (browsing, FTP, remote desktop, etc), so I usually cap it at 80 KB/s. I think your case is similar, that you better set eMule to a bit lower than your theoretical maximum.
Alkelele

Post by Alkelele »

No, I was not aware of the difference between bytes and bits. :-)

I guess it's not all that bad then after all.

I think you are on to something about setting limit slightly lower than theoretical, those numbers I gave were only formal, I read that they are really a bit smaller (like 20-30%) due to different issues. They are just the numbers my IP provides me and it is standard for them to sell numbers in those theoretical vaules.

I found out that 10 Kbytes for upload is perfect, in the sense that it maxes my download. 11 is too much, 9 is too little. I do like to share though! I will investigate options to upgrade my internet connection to speed things up some more. :-)

Thanks for the informative reply, both of you.
gambit3

Post by gambit3 »

one thing only here: parity and stop bits mean 128kb/s=12.8kB/s this has been true since 110/75 kermit....
those who can, do
those who can't, teach