Upgraded Chess FTP Server

Endgame analysis using tablebases, EGTB generation, exchange, sharing, discussions, etc..
PAKman
Sign-up code: 0

Upgraded Chess FTP Server

Post by PAKman »

Hi Everyone,
Upgraded the Chess Server from my ISP today to 5000KB/s Down and 512KB/s Up.
Actually got to talk to 3 people at the ISP, usually can't talk to one person.
The new allocations are as follows.
The Chess Server is currently allowing 8 users, with 2 connections per user.
The bandwidth is 5000KB/s Down and 512KB/s Up, divide that by 8 equals 625KB/s Down and 64KB/s Up. I must divide that bandwidth between four computers on a normal day and am still trying to give each computer the bandwidth it requires.
The Chess Server now gets 300KB/s Down and 31KB/s Up.
The eMule Program gets 200KB/s Down and 20KB/s Up.
The remaining bandwidth is shared between the Chess Computer and my Laptop.
The Chess Computer used on playchess.com/engine room is the problem. If I don't provide
enough bandwidth then i have lag which is unacceptable to my fellow players.

Thank to all the downloader. Glad i can be of service. Enjoyable hobby.
I need uploads, Please share anything you have to make the site a better place to visit.
Thanks
Norm Pruitt
ftp://chess:chess@71.68.97.166
jkominek

Post by jkominek »

Norm -

Your news of a server upgrade is great. I'm sure Kiril must be pleased with how his little project has attracted such grassroot support. I asked my university what it would cost to host the 1.2 TB database. The answer: on top of the initial server purchase, $100 per month plus $800 per backup operation. Too much to support out of my own pocket. If I can't provide the data behind a high speech link myself, I'm happy to distribute it to those that will.

The clock-2 server is currently down for reorganization, and so am currently doing a test upload to your ftp site. Do you mind if I use the same convention as I did with Derek? - populating the incoming directory with zero length files to indicate items you already have. Once clocks-2 returns I'll finish my work there, but afterwards I can help fill out your collection.

Also, it would help if you maintained a "dont_bother.txt" file in the incoming directories listing files that aren't worth uploading (as they're nearly completed in emule).

john
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Thanks, Norm! I linked this thread from the project homepage too. :D
PAKman

Post by PAKman »

Hi John,
I would welcome any help from you. I saw the work you did for Derek and did not know how to accomplish the files needed. l will give you read/write capability in an incoming directory you require. Need to work out getting you the user name and password privately.
Your help is need very badly because i am new to FTP and learning more everyday. I have done the server over four times now because of learning new things. Started with Linux Ubuntu and now run Win 2000pro.
That was to much learning at one time for a old man. :D
John thanks for the interest. Looking forward to the help.

Norm
Last edited by PAKman on Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PAKman

Post by PAKman »

Thank Kirill,
This is an exciting project, and i am glad to be a involved.

Norm

P/S: Wanted to do a quote to John but could not separate my message from the Quote. :oops: I'm learning.
clocks

Post by clocks »

Jkominek - Please explain the exact costs for your university to host the files.

Can I provide my own server (One person I sell laptop batteries and other items to can get me servers very cheap)?

What do you mean $800 for a backup operation? Sorry, I'm at a loss for what that means.

$100/month is entirely wingable for me, but if you an tell me the exact breakdown maybe there is something that can be worked out. I'm assuming the univerisity is on a terabit line?

Derek
blackbubble

Post by blackbubble »

Hi PAKman

First off all, i want to thank you for your server.

I think you forgot to activate the resume function on your FTP Server.
It must be a button to activate append.

It would be nice if you activate that function, that we can resume files that are aborted.

Greetings

Black Bubble
PAKman

Post by PAKman »

Hi Black Bubble,

The solution is tough due to my limited experience. I have 8 choices, under Files: READ, WRITE , DELETE, and APPEND. Under Directories: CREATE, DELETE, LIST, and +SUBDIRS. Then under those choices i can check AUTOCREATE. I do not know what this option does, i am researching.

I can only activate APPEND if WRITE is checked. I am not willing to allow writing the these folders based on my limited experience and clocks/Derek's recent problem. I will learn and be able to provide a quality service as i go along and receive help from the very nice people who are part of this project.

I may not have choose the best FTP program in Filezilla Server, but if i find one with more control i will make the switch.

Thanks for your suggestion
Hopefully i answered you concern.

Norm
blackbubble

Post by blackbubble »

Hi Norm

Thanks for your efforts you made.

I don't understand that you can't activate append without write. Normaly that is no problem. I can activate append without write.

I understand that you don't activate write, people can corrupt finished files , a good choice you made.

Perhaps there is someone who understands more than i do about this problem and he can give us a solution.

Greetings

Black Bubble
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Hi Norm! Usual way to do it is to create some sort of "incoming" directory which will have both "append" and "write" permissions. All new stuff comes there, into incoming. Then you (Norm) sort it out to other directories which have both "append" and "write" disabled. So people can only download from other directories.

This way people can't corrupt files in other directories, and they can upload into "incoming" and they can resume broken connections.

Best,
Kirill
PAKman

Post by PAKman »

Hi Blackbubble and Kirill,
I made some changes that i hope will solve the problem, but will not know unless someone reports that appending was successful.
I really appreciate the helpful input. I'll get it right sooner or later. :)
Also would like to extend my thanks to jkominek who has been a big help with his assistance.

Norm
clocks

Post by clocks »

Can't connect to your site, is it down? Your IP rotate?

Derek
PAKman

Post by PAKman »

Hi Derek,
My ISP shuts me down daily, and i go thought the resets.
I was out of town today and was not here to reset the server.
The good side of that is, i am running out of space and will order a 500GB hard Drive this evening. Drive F: is 200GB and is for 33p. 17GB space remains. I thought i would have to buy this drive in April or May, Wrong !
Thanks for your uploads and the inspiration to begin the project in the first place. I see you on eMule everyday, sorry i don't have more bandwidth, but i do give you a friends slot. I don't know if that does any good or not.
Why are you moving to California? Hope everything go well for you and your girlfriend.

Take Care,
Norm
clocks

Post by clocks »

PM sent