Big FTP Server

Endgame analysis using tablebases, EGTB generation, exchange, sharing, discussions, etc..
blackbubble
Sign-up code: 0

Big FTP Server

Post by blackbubble »

Hi again

I posted a few weeks ago, a topic (Dynamic DNS). I only want to know why nobody use this FTP server. I checked the log and nobody downloaded a file.
Perhaps my connection is to slow, I don´t know.

Thanks to clocks there exist a much faster FTP server.

Now I have a new Idea. There exist a programm like Flashget (perhaps there are others) where you can download a file simultanousely from different sources.

If we have a few people only who are willing to make there own FTP Server, we can download from all this sources simultanousely.

The download speed will acrease a lot if we have more sources.

We can download from 2 sources until now:

ftp://tablebases:tablebases@gambit.homeftp.org
ftp://EGTB:EGTB@75.126.91.34/

If anyone creates his own FTP Server he can post the adress here and we all can download from this source.

Thanks for any comments.

Greetings

Black Bubble

P.S: Happy new year to everybody
clocks

Post by clocks »

I've been debating on other ways to do this as well. As far as speed, and being most efficient - FTP is by far. But has the downside that you cannot add it in as a source on eMule.

Sites such as tablewell and olympus chess has proven to be able to throw a lot of data back into the community. There are many hosting plans that allow 2000GB of transfer from a reliable host, one that isn't going to cut it off - unlimited bandwidth is just unrealistic, and does not have a true promise. In my case, I pay a rather obscene amount for unlimited bandwidth from a company with fantastic feedback from the customers.

So, my thought is to get these files uploaded accross many HTTP sites, and then add these sources into the emule collection files. This way it is possible to download very quickly from within the eMule client. Perhaps 50 sites w/ 200GB storage and 2000GB/month transfer would work quite well. They could hold around 10 copies of the sets, and would automatically cut off in the month when they get close to the bandwidth limit to not get overage fees. That could be roughly 100 sets worth being available each month in a very quick fashion.

First off - more so interested in getting the complete set on my FTP site and on my system, and can decide from there what is the best direction to take. I'm really thinking offloading to many HTTP sites might be a far better option, and others can run ones as well.

My 1.2MB/sec is just getting slammed 24/7. It is about an average of 50 connections open to me downloading, so I think everyone is getting maybe 30k/sec each accross the board. Overall the data being uploaded is a great deal, but wish everyone was getting 200-300k/sec as a minimum.

Just my eventual goal, it would just be beyond fantastic to see even around 40 complete sources on eMule available at all times. Each person completing their set is that much more bandwidth offloaded from the upload capacities of everyone combined.

Derek
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Re: Big FTP Server

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

blackbubble wrote:We can download from 2 sources until now:

ftp://tablebases:tablebases@gambit.homeftp.org
ftp://EGTB:EGTB@75.126.91.34/

If anyone creates his own FTP Server he can post the adress here and we all can download from this source.
Hi blackbubble! Do you mind if I add your FTP sites to the EGTB Online page?

By the way, clocks, how about your FTP, can I add it to the page too? I can also post a message that you welcome people to upload too.

Also if anyone knows more FTP sites with 6-men tablebases, please let me know. :-)
blackbubble

Post by blackbubble »

Hi

Thanks for your answers.

Kirill it is ok when you add the address to your site. For now it is only a testphase because i don´t know what my internet provider says when i am constantely on the limit with my upload. Let´s see what happens. ;)

Derek thanks for the effort you make to provide the Tablebases via FTP.
Please can you allow 2 connections from the same IP, so I can download and upload to you at the same time.

Now I have a question how i can manage my upload capacities.
I have 128 kbit/s = 16KB/s. (not so much)
For now i accept only 1 user to download from me at the same time. (with 2 connections so he can upload to me at the same time)
I give 10-14KB/s free in Emule with all the files I have.

So one user can download for now with 5 KB/s from me. (That´s the reason i limited it to 1 user. It is not worth 10 users at 0.5 KB/s per user)

But how can I manage that more users can download at an acceptable speed from me.

The moment I see a user downloading for +- 14 hours. The problem is that no other users can profite from that connection.
I don´t want to kick a user.

Is it a good Idea to make a Upload/Download ratio.
The problem with the U/D ratio is that I only can limit it by the user (tablebases) not by the IP, as far as I know.
So a user downloads everything until the U/D is full and quites and other users are uploading and have no chance to download.

Any suggestions to manage this fairly will be welcome.

Greetings

Black Bubble

P.S to Kirill

Perhaps it is a good idea mark also the upload capacity on the page.

And perhaps a message (preferred download small files, all files can be download...)
clocks

Post by clocks »

Hi Kirill,

To be honest, I would prefer you not list the site on the main page. The server is already completely tapped uploading on eMule and FTP. I am noticing several IPs that are not sharing on eMule (as far as I can tell) downloading from me. I would like to limit this as much as possible, sharing to those who will in turn share back.

Most of all, I don't want to forget our roots so to speak, and make sure that the sets are well shared over P2P. While I can put a fair share of money into this for the foreseeable future, I have dealt with some odd situations in the past. For instance one day trying to take $50 out of the bank, and being refused, I was told the account was locked. There was a government hold on my account that even the bank could not give me information on. All transactions coming in or going out were refused. I don't like bouncing checks! I do a lot of international business, and with more and more government checks into me of late I can see possibly hitting a wall at some point for a small amount of time. While it won't make me homeless, it may make the money a little tighter.

Basically, I want to give a larger capacity to the community, but am largely deciding if I want to be running public FTP/HTTP sites or not. I am very much thinking just a 100MBPS line sharing over eMule running multiple eMule clients might just be a whole lot better. All what I want to decide in the coming weeks as my set is completed.

Derek
clocks

Post by clocks »

Hi Blackbubble,

Thanks for the offer to upload. To be honest, a friend upload slot on eMule would probably help me a great deal more. I am showing I am on a long queue very consistantly with you.

The 3+3 Files on the site are nearly complete (15GB more needed maybe). I have the set complete at my home, and I am uploading them, I think a few days at worst and they will be done. Largely due to my ISP capping my speed rather bad this past month. I handed a DVD-R with 4.5GB to a friend today, he will upload them for me starting later this night. This set should be done very shortly at any rate.

The 4+2/4+2P set as a whole I am downloading from eMule. The cross-referencing, with people uploading and then taking off of my eMule download list was consuming a large majority of my time. I am rather busy at the moment, and although it would help, I don't have that great of a deal of time. It is just over 400GB more of these files needed, but even at that current rate I am thinking it would only be 3-4 weeks at worst. A friend upload slot from anyone would be much appreciated as I am working to complete these files and it will be the sets lagging the most behind.

The 3+3P set jkominek has taken it upon himself to upload. Currently uploading 500-600KB/sec to the site. AWESOME! I think under 2 weeks most definitly and it should be done. I think it is sitting somewhere around 250GB more needed of the files. I believe it honestly easier to orchestrate with only him uploading. Some also had 'bad habits' of not completing uploads and moving onto other files :)

The main reason for the 1 connection allowed per IP was that a few people were opening 10+ connections to the site 'stealing' bandwidth from others.

The main account EGTB/EGTB is capped to a set speed (to control people that I know are not sharing back to eMule).

I would be happy to hand out personal accounts to someone with a higher upload speed set (higher for one because you are sharing back on eMule, or higher yet because you have uploaded a lot to me over eMule/FTP). Just send me a message over eMule and I'll get one set up for you. Also, I'm nosey and love to see who is connecting, always comparing IPs, so personal accounts would be enticing to me in this way too :)

Also, FTP uploads are not allowed on the EGTB/EGTB after the incident of someone trying to ruin all the uploaded files.

Not trying to come off negatively at all if anything here was taken that way :) - More so just tired of the tedious work and looking to simplify, even if it means it takes me a few days longer in the end.

Derek
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

I could not find any tablebase files there.
Added to the "Tablebases Online" page. Thanks!
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

clocks wrote:Hi Kirill,

To be honest, I would prefer you not list the site on the main page. The server is already completely tapped uploading on eMule and FTP. I am noticing several IPs that are not sharing on eMule (as far as I can tell) downloading from me. I would like to limit this as much as possible, sharing to those who will in turn share back.

Most of all, I don't want to forget our roots so to speak, and make sure that the sets are well shared over P2P. While I can put a fair share of money into this for the foreseeable future, I have dealt with some odd situations in the past. For instance one day trying to take $50 out of the bank, and being refused, I was told the account was locked. There was a government hold on my account that even the bank could not give me information on. All transactions coming in or going out were refused. I don't like bouncing checks! I do a lot of international business, and with more and more government checks into me of late I can see possibly hitting a wall at some point for a small amount of time. While it won't make me homeless, it may make the money a little tighter.

Basically, I want to give a larger capacity to the community, but am largely deciding if I want to be running public FTP/HTTP sites or not. I am very much thinking just a 100MBPS line sharing over eMule running multiple eMule clients might just be a whole lot better. All what I want to decide in the coming weeks as my set is completed.

Derek
Hi Derek. I agree with your logic, in fact this is my thinking too. eMule is more robust, everyone can contribute to the availability of the files, and what is most important, everyone who downloads via eMule will also share for some while. May be he will like it and will keep sharing for longer time. So if you can saturate your bandwidth by eMule (may be several concurrent clients), that would be ideal from my point of view. :-)

But I also realize that there will always be people out there who are not capable of using eMule for some reason. (Usually because they are afraid to use something new or they don't have enough computer skills, or they have network problems with eMule). By providing some limited subset of tablebases via HTTP or FTP for those people we are attracting them to this field, and they have more reason to come and learn and start using eMule. So I think we should not share ALL tablebases on FTP, but always only some little part, and we better try to use most of our bandwidth with eMule. :-)
blackbubble

Post by blackbubble »

Hi Kirill

I think there is an error in your post on the main page.

The adress 75.126.91.34 is not from me, but from Derek (clocks). (I think Derek don´t want to be published on the main page)

What do you mean you cannot find any tablebases?

Greetings

Black Bubble
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

blackbubble wrote:Hi Kirill

I think there is an error in your post on the main page.

The adress 75.126.91.34 is not from me, but from Derek (clocks). (I think Derek don´t want to be published on the main page)

What do you mean you cannot find any tablebases?

Greetings

Black Bubble
Ah, OK thanks. I found them now. :-) Something was with my FTP rpogram probably. I also removed Derek's FTP. Just because the address was in your post I assumed it is your server as well.
Sellig1947

Post by Sellig1947 »

Kirill :

Thank you for trying to preserve the "rights" of people who only have FTP for downloading (although I hope to correct that in a few weeks).

Please note that we can also help. For example I rightly pointed out that one file on clocks' FTP (kbbbkb.nbw) was corrupted. BTW early january it was corrected.

Thanks for the good job of many people !

Concerning ftp://tablebases:tablebases@gambit.homeftp.org I have not been able to connect just once : "too many users" it says (I use WS_FTP). Am I missing something ?
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Sellig1947 wrote:Kirill :

Thank you for trying to preserve the "rights" of people who only have FTP for downloading (although I hope to correct that in a few weeks).

Please note that we can also help. For example I rightly pointed out that one file on clocks' FTP (kbbbkb.nbw) was corrupted. BTW early january it was corrected.

Thanks for the good job of many people !
Nice to hear! :-)
Sellig1947 wrote:Concerning ftp://tablebases:tablebases@gambit.homeftp.org I have not been able to connect just once : "too many users" it says (I use WS_FTP). Am I missing something ?
I guess this is because his FTP server has limit for the number of connections. Actually it is easy to reach this limit because many people use download managers - a software that can establish many connections at once to accelerate downloads. With such software one person can easily create 10 or 20 connections. By the way, this all is one more reason to use eMule. While eMule also limits number of connections, it has also a queue. All incoming requests are placed in a queue and are served in the order in which they came (roughly speaking, it is actually more complex than that).
blackbubble

Post by blackbubble »

Hi Sellig1947

I am sorry for that but I accept only 1 connection at same time.
I have only 16 kB/s upload and i share 10 with Emule so I give for my FTP-Server 5 kB/s upload. 1-2 kB/s I need for browsing, my download...

Is this a good idea to allow only 1 connection at "reasonable" 5 kB/s or do you want that I allow more connections at slower speed? Your comments are welcome.

You have to try more often to find a free place, but i am sorry that I don´t have more upload capacity.

Greetings

Black Bubble
Sellig1947

Post by Sellig1947 »

Kirill : thanks for your helpful comments as usual.

Black Bubble : I understand your difficulties. You are the best judge about what parameters to choose best.

Anyway my EGTB collection is growing fast :P and I need to buy soon a new 500Go ot 750 Go external HD. :wink:

BTW do you think that Bob Hyatt shall never post 6P EGTB again ? What a pity ...
blackbubble

Post by blackbubble »

Hi again

I made a new account where you can upload the missing files for the 33p and 42p. The 33 and 42 are complete.

You can list the directories 33p and 42p to look which files are missing but you can't download. For download please use the account:
ftp://tablebases:tablebases@gambit.homeftp.org (sorry only 1 user at once because my upload is not very high)

The upload account is:
ftp://upload:upload@gambit.homeftp.org

Thanks to everyone who uploads to this account.

I share the files in Emule after a md5 check as fast as possible.

Greetings

Black Bubble
clocks

Post by clocks »

By the way, great idea on the upload account. I've wanted to throw a few files your way and haven't been able to. :)

I think its great each set that gets completed, even if someone is downloading 50KB/sec from everyone, that is 50k/sec more that will be out there and distributed to everyone else at that point. :)
blackbubble

Post by blackbubble »

Hi again

I want to thank everyone who is uploading to ftp://upload:upload@gambit.homeftp.org

Greetings

Black Bubble
blackbubble

Post by blackbubble »

Hi

I am sorry but my FTP Server ftp://tablebases:tablebases@gambit.homeftp.org will be offline for a few days. I have to upgrade the server for new space. By this occasion i will change the tower. I bought a tower where i can put 8 hardrives in.

I will work as fast as i can, but perhaps it will take me a few days. I have to change everything in the new tower, motherboard, powersupplie, harddrives etc...

I hope I see you back online.

Greetings

Black Bubble
blackbubble

Post by blackbubble »

Hi again

Back online.

I will copy the new files tomorrow or saturday to the new harddrives.

I was faster that i thought with changing tower. Great tower, very easy to install everything.
I will change the structure of the files in next time, but for now i am online and you can download from me.

Greetings

Black Bubble
ryan_hirst

Has anyone thought about contacting Google?

Post by ryan_hirst »

Hello, again!

Several things:
1) Huge apologies to the emule community for my absence. It looks like sharing is pretty solid now, but it's never good to have a 24/7 sharer drop out. My Opteron upgrade was a complete disaster. I've been out for almost 5 months. I'll be back up, for what it's worth. I'm always found as Slumberland. I'm on eMule client #4, so please be patient if you're uploading to me and my UL/DL ratio is bad: I've shared about 200GB more than I've taken, and I promise to have a good record again shortly.

2) I'm very tentatively looking into a small-scale server. Is there any consensus on a best way to share TB files? Is there a best-case scenario? Can I suggest one?

Taking a steady array of home servers, we choose one as the host, and script a small file to automatically redirect connections to the other server addresses. Then we could post a SINGLE IP address on the website, that would link to the whole network of available servers. It would work like this:

The posted (main) address is actually an unused static IP from one member (most providers give you 2-8 with their business packages anyway). That IP connects ONLY to the redistribute.script file, which assigns a valid server IP randomly. Though the assignment is random, the frequency of assignment to different servers will be based on a simple weighted average of total bandwidth, per connection bandwidth, and total connections allowed.

So if PAKman allows 5 times as many connections as I do, and we have the same per-user bandwidth, then the redistribute script will assign PAKman's IP 5x more often than mine. On a per-connection basis, it's far from perfect; from a long-range probabilistic standpoint, however, it's far more efficient than either a) no network at all, and probably even b) an active, interdependent, load-balancing network. We wouldn't even have to have additional redirect scripts at each server. It would be nice to get redirected if the IP assignment is full.... but it isn't necessary. The person could just try again. After all, that's what happens NOW if someone tries one of the FTP links. If it's full, you just have to try again.
In this manner, the person hosting the single public IP wouldn't have to take on a greater load of the clients. S/he would only have to be willing to host the script file, but the dedicated Tablebase community is small enough that the overhead would be tiny (and just processor-bound at that).

Is such a project feasible? Are there open source redirect routines (like the kind used for webpages) that we could just copy?

3) Has anyone thought about contacting Google? They host staggering amounts of data, and allow users equally staggering bandwidth. Think of Google Earth. Any Joe with a computer can burn Gigabytes of bandwidth an hour globetrotting on Google Earth... and it's free.

The chess tablebase library is an excellent candidate for Google hosting. It's copyright-free. Individual files require no maintenance/updating. Since it's a service to the human endeavors of machine intelligence and chess, they could milk it for publicity. Meanwhile, the user pool is positively MINUSCULE compared with the scale of their operations-- they could limit bandwidth to a few hundred users at 256KB/s download and single-handedly relieve the world's demand. They'd be a minor hero for agreeing to host such a spectacular quantity of data, when the fact is they use more space to compost a few MB of search data to the world. It really seems like it could work.

Just a thought.

4) is the lets-all-use-the-same-emule-server plan still in effect?
ZeroOne

Re: Has anyone thought about contacting Google?

Post by ZeroOne »

ryan_hirst wrote:3) Has anyone thought about contacting Google? They host staggering amounts of data, and allow users equally staggering bandwidth.
According to Forbes, Google is launching an online storage service. Hosting the full six piece Nalimov set would cost, hmm, $2500 a year: http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/08/ ... 08938.html
Communication usually fails, except by accident.
blackbubble

Post by blackbubble »

Hi

I am sorry to announce that ftp://tablebases:tablebases@gambit.homeftp.org will go offline in next time.I will move to a new appartment where I don´t have a great Internet Connection. Thanks all for your support, and I wish you fun playing chess.

Greetings

Black Bubble
PAKman

Post by PAKman »

HI Blackbubble,

Sorry to see you go, and hopefully you connection at the new residents will improve and you will return soon.

I am currently working on a new Endgame Tablebase project other than my FTP site. I am in the experimental stage.
If it works out I will be furnishing EGTB at that a much higher download speed. My current user limit is 12 connections with a speed of 3kb.
The speed increase with less users of course.

Good Luck in you new abode.
Norm
ftp://chess:chess@pakman.myftp.org
http://www.enginechess.com