eMule IDs

Endgame analysis using tablebases, EGTB generation, exchange, sharing, discussions, etc..
TapaniS
Sign-up code: 0

eMule IDs

Post by TapaniS »

I notised that there were someone in my eMule queue using id "TapaniS" asking krpkbp.8.nbb from me.

I would appreciate everybody finding a "new" id. I have been using "TapaniS" from the very begin 4/2006.

So we can not know who are behind different ids. Or can we? This one had server IP: 62.241.53.16

Regards,
TapaniS

PS. I notised this IP was a DonkeyServer No2.
Attachments
eMule_ID.JPG
eMule_ID.JPG (44.91 KiB) Viewed 14927 times
Last edited by TapaniS on Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Hi TapaniS.. This is nick theft.. I saw Kirr-2 and Kirr-3 clients which were not me. I don't know what advantage it gives to the thief. May be Thomas can tell, because he knows more about eMule. I know that some eMule mods will automatically detect ID thiefs and ban them. eMule Xtreme and Scarangel both have this function.
Pachnes

Unfortunately we can not do anything :-)

Post by Pachnes »

Kirill Kryukov wrote:Hi TapaniS.. This is nick theft.. I saw Kirr-2 and Kirr-3 clients which were not me. I don't know what advantage it gives to the thief. May be Thomas can tell, because he knows more about eMule. I know that some eMule mods will automatically detect ID thiefs and ban them. eMule Xtreme and Scarangel both have this function.
Hi TapaniS, Hi Kirill,

unfortunately we can not do anything. ID thiefs try to steal your unique user ID. Everybody can use the same Nickname in eMule. If you use Scarangel or Xtreme, you can find the IP of all clients in "Known Clients List". You than could add that IP (or IP-range) to your personal IPfilter.dat :-)

But this is bad for you too, as you than can not download from him either.
Regards,

Thomas
jkominek

Post by jkominek »

Coincidentally, I noticed that exact same thing yesterday. Whoever stole my id was also using DonkeyServer2. Messages bounced back to me, but the data was definitely going elsewhere. Annoying! What is the motive? They're not going to get my credit record, right?

By only connecting onto the Kad network I found that members of this community could find me, but the culprit could not.

However, I'm now devoting all my bandwidth to populating the clocks-2 distribution server, and have closed emule down. If you see my id in your client list (for month of January), that's not me.

john
clocks

Post by clocks »

Also not sure. The problem that I had the other day was someone logging onto the FTP site. They uploaded 100-200 bytes of information to the ends of completed files 'ruining' them. The data was just letters, and I was able to easily remove, and reverify. Actually, it was most of the 0-byte files they messed with, I saved some larger ones, but just didn't bother with the 100MB sized ones.

Some sort of tablebase attack? LOL

I had posted this in the clocks-2 FTP but accidently deleted the post (so tired and a couple wrong clicks :) )

Derek
clocks

Post by clocks »

And now I see myself uploading to clocks-2 :)

Derek
kp1089

Post by kp1089 »

There is a nick thief operating at IP 85.152.132.244. He has tried to steal the nick from all my clients, but Xtreme has banned him in each case. You should add that IP address to your IP filter. If anyone sees kp1089, merepawn, blublazes, or watcher downloading, it is not my clients, as I have finished 2 months ago. All clients are still uploading, of course.

kp
How small, of all that human hearts endure, that part that laws and kings can cause or cure. -- Samuel Johnson.
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

clocks wrote:Also not sure. The problem that I had the other day was someone logging onto the FTP site. They uploaded 100-200 bytes of information to the ends of completed files 'ruining' them. The data was just letters, and I was able to easily remove, and reverify. Actually, it was most of the 0-byte files they messed with, I saved some larger ones, but just didn't bother with the 100MB sized ones.

Some sort of tablebase attack? LOL

I had posted this in the clocks-2 FTP but accidently deleted the post (so tired and a couple wrong clicks :) )

Derek
Wow.. I think this is a first case of a intentional attack on this project. I can't imagine why someone would be doing this.
Mindbreaker

ID

Post by Mindbreaker »

Someone has been using my name too. They are from Spain, I am from the US.

Mindbreaker
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

Someone has also been using "Tinker" to upload from me.

How concerned should I be about this?

I would like to continue to allow uploads having benefited from downloading myself (about 73GB in 170 some odd 6 men files).

I have not downloaded anything since early Sept. and have been allowing uploads all along, but have stopped recently due to this galling behavior.

Thanks,
Brian Richardson
(Author of Tinker on ICC)
clocks

Post by clocks »

I'm questioning it quite a bit if the IDs like this affect me. I've uploaded about 6GB to 'myself' in the last day or two. My average speed down was about 300k/sec for a long time - now I've been cruising 80-100K/sec for awhile.

Derek
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Tinker wrote:Someone has also been using "Tinker" to upload from me.

How concerned should I be about this?

I would like to continue to allow uploads having benefited from downloading myself (about 73GB in 170 some odd 6 men files).

I have not downloaded anything since early Sept. and have been allowing uploads all along, but have stopped recently due to this galling behavior.

Thanks,
Brian Richardson
(Author of Tinker on ICC)
I think we should not worry about them. If we all just stop sharing because of this, the project will just die. I have seen clients that used my name before, I just ignored them. Then I installed eMule Xtreme which bans them automatically.
Mindbreaker

ID

Post by Mindbreaker »

Apparently the same person who was using my name is the same one pretending to be others: 62.241.53.16

I am using xtreme...I am not sure why he is still showing up.

How do I block this imposter?

mindbreaker
PAKman

Post by PAKman »

I had PAKman downloading from me today, was in Spain and using
Donkey 2. I use Extreme and under Options/Extreme II/Nick-/Modthiefs I checked BAN.
I hope this stops the impersonator. :x
Norm
Mindbreaker

Post by Mindbreaker »

PAKman wrote:I had PAKman downloading from me today, was in Spain and using
Donkey 2. I use Extreme and under Options/Extreme II/Nick-/Modthiefs I checked BAN.
I hope this stops the impersonator. :x
Norm
Thanks,

Mindbreaker
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Yep, the imposter is also / now using my ID Kovo and his ip is 62.241.53.16.

I am currently using emule 0.47c. Can I upgrade to the extreme version to block this guy without losing any uncompleted downloads, or having to disconnect?.

Thanks
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Darrell wrote:Yep, the imposter is also / now using my ID Kovo and his ip is 62.241.53.16.

I am currently using emule 0.47c. Can I upgrade to the extreme version to block this guy without losing any uncompleted downloads, or having to disconnect?.

Thanks
Yes you can upgrade from standard eMule to Xtreme without losing any incomplete downloads. Though you will have to disconnect and quit eMule before upgrading to Xtreme.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Thanks Kirill for your prompt reply.

Which version would you recommend?

Thanks Darrell
Kirill Kryukov
Site Admin

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Darrell wrote:Thanks Kirill for your prompt reply.

Which version would you recommend?

Thanks Darrell
Usually the latest version is the way to go. I used Xtreme 5.3.1 before and it worked well for me. I did not try Xtreme 5.4 because I use different mod right now, but I believe 5.4 should be good too.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Once again thanks.

Downloading 5.4 now!
Lutz Nebe

Post by Lutz Nebe »

I saw myself too today. It was the same from spain. I upgraded to Xtreme 5.4 and will block him.

It doesn't work. He is still downloading and isn't banned by Xtreme.
Behind his name now appears as well Xtreme 5.4. Is this my prog or does he use it too ?