Hard Rock Cafe in Kuwait

Endgame analysis using tablebases, EGTB generation, exchange, sharing, discussions, etc..
clocks
Sign-up code: 0

Hard Rock Cafe in Kuwait

Post by clocks »

Well you're probably wondering a little bit about the title :)

Let me start by saying for the clocks-2 machine I run on the 10MBPS up/down line I have decided not to use the webcache. No, not to undermine Pachnes and have him 'drop his bat' as Guy put it. (Just messin' around :) )

Real reason is that with the higher speed upload I have, bouncing my connection through the webcache limited me to 30-40k/sec. With 3 clients running I hit 60k/sec throughput using the webcache. Messing around with different things, decided to see what would happen if I took off the webcache. Instantly the 3 clients speed went up - and greatly. 2 clients instantly jumped over 100k/sec, and 1 to almost 300k/sec.

Started wondering a little bit about the webcache we use. First off no-ip.info is simply a service that lets you give your computer a DNS address instead of having the IP only. That says slow-speed to me right there LOL. I mean, OK, we use a webcache that is on a major backbone or something - cool. But, I really don't think thats the case. Resolved the name to an IP address and its Kuwait:

Hey, it could work.

At least from my perspective it makes little sense to run my US connection to Kuwait only for it to go back to the US. Even if that means you can download a couple extra chunks from the webcache or the starving street children could finally know the answer to KRNKRP to the tee just cuz I so happened to send it on through their country.

So, did a little more research into the owner of the IP address. I thought I would find maybe a DSL provider or something of the area. But nope, found the following:
inetnum: 195.226.230.0 - 195.226.230.63
netname: HARDR-NET
descr: Hard Rock Cafe
admin-c: SM4401-RIPE
tech-c: AM6254-RIPE
mnt-by: MOC-MNT
source: RIPE # Filtered

person: Salah Malallah
address: Kuwait
phone: +965 263 0689
nic-hdl: SM4401-RIPE

person: Ahmed Malallh
address: Kuwait
phone: +965 263 0689
nic-hdl: AM6254-RIPE
Thanks for the webcache Salah!

So, there you have it folks. We're bouncing our connection through the hardrock cafe in the middle east. I think it works for the slow speed uploads (People here/there shooting 4k/sec through it), but I honestly don't even think this thing is going to be able to handle all that much traffic.

Well - at least the hard rock cafe is pretty cool looking in Kuwait - maybe they have some decent line in there :)

There restaurant is pretty sweet! Who know's maybe their line is too LOL

Well - count me out of the webcache on the faster machine I have runnin'. Just connect direct to me if you want something. 100+ upload slots - no worries.

If someone finds something maybe more major backbone'ish I'm up for trying it.

Derek